John Deere B, early-styled, running but lots of question

DaveJD

New User
My Dad left me an early-styled JD-B 'project' and - with help of this forum - I have it mostly back together, I got it running, and now I have more questions!

1) Hard to start. I am getting the hang of it but would welcome a how-to (at what part of the cycle do I start the big spin?)
2) Backfires. I get backfires from time to time when trying to start it. I thought I was dead the first time it went off.
3) Oil splatter from flywheel. It seems that the flywheel spreads oil droplets (forms a line on the ground and coats the left brake). It isn't clear whether this happens all the time or just on startup, but it makes a big mess.
4) Lots of smoke. My dad had worked on the carb and I'm sure it needs tuning now. I turned the closest tab out (left) and it ran better (before it would only stay running with full throttle, now a bit more of a range). Still lots of smoke.
5) New bowl valve doesn't stop tractor. Dad had bought a new fuel bowl, and I connected it direct to the big tank (no more gas/fuel/off switch). But when I turn the bowl valve off it doesn't stop the flow of gas entirely... so I have to choke out the tractor and then drain all the gas.

I'd welcome your input and advice on any of the points above.

I have a video of it running but I don't think I can load that here - I can share separately.

Thanks in advance JD friends

Can you hear the impulse trip in the mag as your turning it over and get close to the compression stroke?>. And yes there is a trick to starting them but not all work the same. My 1935 B you choke it and then turn it to almost tripping the impulse then back off and do that 2 or 3 times to get a good bit of gas in the cylinder then spin it past tripping

[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]1) Hard to start. I am getting the hang of it but would welcome a how-to (at what part of the cycle do I start the big spin?)[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]

This is one method to hand start a tractor.

<iframe width=560 height=315 src=https://www.youtube.com/embed/CIjNH2ghdTA title=YouTube video player frameborder=0 allow=accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture allowfullscreen></iframe>

[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]2) Backfires. I get backfires from time to time when trying to start it. I thought I was dead the first time it went off.[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]

You might consider checking the timing on the No. 1 (flywheel side) cylinder.

To prevent the tractor from accidentally starting:

Remove the spark plug cable from the No. 2 spark plug.

a167964.jpg width=650

Make sure the gas is turned off.

Lock both brakes.

Transmission should be in neutral and the hand clutch should be disengaged.

This is one method of checking the timing.

Remove the No. 1 spark plug on the flywheel side.

a167965.jpg width=650

Place your finger over the hole and rotate the flywheel in the running direction (counter-clockwise) until you feel pressure (compression) of air in the cylinder.

Continue rotating the flywheel counter-clockwise slowly until the [b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]L. H. IMPULSE[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0] mark on the flywheel lines up with the reference mark on the gear cover.

a167966.jpg width=650

Loosen the two cap screws securing the magneto.

Tap the top of the magneto toward the rear of the tractor a little at a time until the impulse trips.

a167967.jpg width=650

Tighten the cap screws and continue rotating the flywheel counter-clockwise until you see a spark at full pressure (compression) for No. 1 cylinder.

a167968.jpg width=650

Hope this helps.

James Howell - thanks so much for this detailed response! For some reason my laptop didn't load the images but my tablet could. This is very helpful.

Do you happen to have any intuition regarding point 3 (oil splatter from fly wheel)? I have not changed the oil, and will do so. I'm wondering if there is gas in the oil, thinning it and letting it past the seals.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back