John Deere B - foot pedal starter options?

andy r

I have a later model John Deere B with the rod coming up out of the flywheel cover to engage the starter. The rod has a little metal disk on top that screws on. Did any B's have a pivoting foot pedal like the A's had to engage the starter or were they all just pushing the vertical rod downward? Buddy of mine thinks his dad's had a pivoting foot pedal. Thanks.

I have a later model John Deere B with the rod coming up out of the flywheel cover to engage the starter. The rod has a little metal disk on top that screws on. Did any B's have a pivoting foot pedal like the A's had to engage the starter or were they all just pushing the vertical rod downward? Buddy of mine thinks his dad's had a pivoting foot pedal. Thanks.
IIRC, the earlier "B's" had a lever on the starter switch directly operated by the operator's foot. Later, the starter was moved underneath and a rod was required.

The starters on B's were set up so you pushed the rod down to activate the starter. The pivoting foot pedal on A's pulled the rod UP.
I've never seen a B with the A starter set-up. Obviously two different arrangements.

The late B's have the starter switch on the bottom of the starter. The late A's 60's and 620's have the starter switch on top of the starter. Due to the geometry of the linkage the rod coming up through the flywheel cover on the B needs to be pushed down in order to engage the starter gear and push against the switch. The late A's 60's and 620's need the rod to go up in order to engage the starter, hence why they were able to install a pedal that pulls up on the rod. I think there's a couple other models that mimic the B, maybe a 70, or 720???

IIRC, the earlier "B's" had a lever on the starter switch directly operated by the operator's foot. Later, the starter was moved underneath and a rod was required.
LSpVdsw.jpg

Older "B" starter that mounted on top of the main case with hinged foot-operated lever.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back