John Deere B Losing Coolant

Timoshenko

New User
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying an old B or H for a restoration project. I found a local B for sale - the seller says it runs, but he need to add coolant periodically. Based on some searches, it looks like common causes of coolant consumption are the pushrod sleeves (which I guess go through the water jacket), or possibly a head gasket. I suppose a cracked head or block is possible too.

Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any other common causes? I guess to know whether there is coolant in the oil, unless it is emulsified, we'd probably have to drain a bit from the drain plug since the water will be on the bottom of the crank case. I'd rather not get involved with a cracked block or head, but a head gasket or the pushrod sleeves may be an interesting project.

Thanks.

(quoted from post at 07:04:35 07/16/22) Take of the valve cover and you can see if the push rod tubes are leaking. Not a bad job. Ron MN

Thanks for the tip, Ron. Do you know of a way to rule out a block or head crack? I'm not sure whether the seller will let me remove the valve cover.

You can check for coolant in the engine by cracking the oil
drain. It will come out first. If the head or block is broken
there could be coolant in there. You can start it and see if it
is bubbling at the radiator. That is an indication of an issue.
Honestly there are lots of these tractors out there with no
issues in the drivetrain. Unless this is so cheap you cant
pass it up I would keep looking.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back