John Deere B worth

e.angeny

New User
I bought a 1948 John Deere B last year for $1,500. I spent this year rewiring it and i put new paint and decals on it, it looks super nice now. I also put on some other pieces. Now that I am done, I want to sell it and get something bigger for my own farming benefit. The original owner sold it for 1500 because he just wanted it gone because he was moving out of the area. I would like at least 3500 for it, but i don't know the worth. What is the average worth of one of these tractors in this condition?

Condition of the TIRES..?.
Engine compression...PSI..?
Pictures...
Your location..?
You may have paid too much ....?

Bob..

Welcome to the world of tractors. You got a B for $1,500 and even if you put $ 1,500 more in it is still only worth $ 1,500 ? Sorry to say but no way are any bringing $ 3,500 even though many ask that much. Who knows you may get lucky and find a buyer ? I was never that lucky.

Cars and tractors are the same. Mike is right, it doesn't matter how much you spend on one, they are only worth what they are worth. I sat at a Mecum auction a couple weeks ago and watched several cars not sell for what looked like good $$, because even though the bid was pretty high, the seller spent a lot more on the restoration and wouldn't let it sell.

Even painted up nice with CORRECT decals, I'd say you'd be lucky to get $2000. B's are still relatively easy to find and are priced accordingly.

I recently watched a 1950 B sell at auction for $2000. That tractor was original and even still had working shutters. The owner used it prior to the auction to move wagons loaded with sale items into place so everyone got to hear and see it run. Good tires all around. Can't remember when or if I ever seen one like that sell.

Um, yup. Been telling this to my kid for years because he wants to sink a butt load of money into grandpas tractor. If you have a $1500 tractor and sink $1500 into it, you still have a $1500 tractor so it better just be something you want to do.

Some lyrics from a song...
A thousand dollar car ain't gonna roll
'Til you throw at least another thousand in the hole
Sink your money in it, and there you are
The owner of a two thousand dollar thousand dollar car

This post was edited by thdrduck on 12/15/2021 at 01:21 pm.

The problem is, todays younger tractor collectors dont want A&B John Deeres or H & M Farmall. They want IH 1206 tractors or 4020 Deeres . If you advertise that B for $3500 I doubt if youll get a call! When you restore old tractors you wont make any money on it, you just do it because you love it!

I'd have to agree with the others. About the only way to come out ahead buying, restoring and selling is to inherit the tractor, figure your time is worth nothing, and steal the parts :).

I bought my 39 Deere B for 1600. I put new tires, correct mag, a NOS engine block, head, and pistons in it plus other stuff...and by my calculations I'll have $7000 in it before my time is calculated. I'll never get that out of it. I just finished a 39 Farmall H to as close to factory original as possible (minus a few tiny bits). I put all of the correct 39 H specific parts, paint, tires, 6 volt charging, brillman wiring, 39 specific seat and in the end it is a beautiful tractor. I have $6500 in recipts before labor and time. I'll never see close to that if I wanted to sell it. Moral of the story is you still have a 1948 B that is worth exactly what you have in it....$1500-$1800 It may be a different thing and could MAYBE get $3500 if you have a new engine with new tires, correct wiring/charging and a stellar paint job where you disassembled everything and painted it. There is no money but plenty of love when working on these old machines.

If you want to sell it how about posting some photos and a little more background information on the tractor , there is somebody out there that probably wants a nice B for the right price

If the paint and decals are well done, you can probably add the cost of your decals and paint to your selling price, but nothing for the labor or prep work.

I just saw an 1950 A with the engine overhauled and painted up real nice and with relatively good tires, I saw it sell at an auction for $2400. Matter of fact, this is the second time it was at the auction. Back in June it was at this auction and it got as high as $2900 and they passed on it. So I guess the owner saw it wasn't worth all what he thought it was worth , and at this auction, when it got to $2400 , it was sold. A's and B's are not in demand like they use to be .

can you post some pictures of it?
that would be easier to give you an estimate of what it is worth,
but I'm afraid it's not going to be the price you like.

what is the location of the tractor? if its in Midwest might help the price a little

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back