John Deere D

Clifton1979

New User
I have a John Deere D that I just recently picked up and got running. It is getting pretty hot and does not seem to be moving any water when I remove the radiator cap and look inside and,I cannot find anyone with a rebuilt water pump for it. Does this thing even have a water pump and if it doesnt how is it supposed to stay cool?? Any help would be great.
 
if it's getting hot, check to make sure the timing isn't retarded. As stated, it's a thermosyphon. Hot water rises. What do you mean by "hot"?

could have obstruction in cooling system/radiator.
 
They dont have water pumps. They have thermo-siphon. The hot water rises from the head through the upper water pipe then its cooled through the radaitor. The cooled water cycles back through the lower water pipe back into the head. The D has 2 lower pipes one on each side of the radaitor that supports the radaitor too. They will get real warm. Are you useing strait water or are you useing anti freeze? They say anti freeze wont cool as good in a thermo siphon because they dont have water pumps on them. If you are useing strait water is it boiling and steam coming out? If so your radaitor might be stoped up. Get a cooking therometer and stick down the radaitor and see what the temp is. If im missing something someone weigh in.
 
I just placed a new temp gauge in it and was showing 220. This is the first time the tractor has run in almost 30 plus years. I put 2 gallons of antifreeze mixed with 3 gallons of water in the radiator. When I pulled the cap off the radiator there was a substantial amount of loose rust inside it so it might be kinda plugged on the bottom. I removed as much as I could by hand but am sure some got down the radiator.
 
Sounds like your radiator is plugged up. Drain your antifreeze/water mixture and save it for reuse later. Unhook the hose(s) at the bottom of the radiator, then pour clear water in the radiator. If the water doesn't come out the bottom as fast as you pour it in the radiator needs to come out, be taken apart, and rodded out.

I saw Tech 7's post after I made mine. He makes an important point. With only 5 gallons of coolant you probably don't have enough coolant to get circulation going. Add more water/antifreeze and see if that fixes the problem. If not, then try my suggestion.
 
This doesnt have hoses on the bottom to disconnect and flush from. I currently have about 7 gallons in it now and it at the top of the siphon pipe. I am pretty sure the radiator is plugged, I would feel safer removing it and having it cleaned either way, that is what I will do in the morning probably.
 
On the model D there is a pipe plug on the bottom of the block in the center.Thats where you drain the cooling system.Take it out and have 3 5 gallon buckets handy. Your going to need them. Then i would flush it with water.If the flushing dont work your radiator needs rodded out.
 
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am just going to pull the radiator and have it cleaned. As long as this old girl has been sitting I think that would be the best way to go.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top