John Deere L Questions

asylum

I picked up this L last week. Hasn't ran for years. Other than cleaning tank and carb, I am trying to get it to fire. I was able to get a pop here and a pop there. My question is on the timing. I think the start timing is off. I roll the flywheel over and there is a DC (not TDC) mark on the flywheel. I turn a bit more and then the mag snaps. A good two inches or so from DC to the snap. I turned the mag to try to close the points (per instructions), but I can't turn it enough to close points. I'm guessing I need to pull the mag to check the timing of it and to set to 25 degrees.

On the flywheel I also noticed a line come around just before the line with the DC mark. What is that first mark? Also, I assume DC is TDC.

You say can't turn it enough to close the points? Is the gap set correctly? The spark it triggered when the points open. I haven't worked on an L
but the usual method is to retard the mag all the way then set #1 to TCD on the compression stroke. Then turn the mag slowly in the direction it
rotates till the impulse trips. Tighten it there. The running advance is built in.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back