John Deere Model A Clutch Trouble

Rich Taracka

New User
Hi,
I'm having trouble with my Model A clutch and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it. With the clutch disengaged, a loud rapping sound comes from inboard of the clutch assy. This sound goes away when the clutch is engaged. Eventually, one of the operating bolts ($70 a piece, ouch) sheared. I replaced the Adjusting disc, the free facings, the operating bolts, and the drive disc. The rapping sound remains and after about twenty more hours of operation it has sheared another operating bolt. I'm at a loss. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate their input.
Thanks,
Rich
 
Where are these bots shearing at ? the heads or the threaded end ?

If the head is shearing the clutch driver splines could be loose letting the assy. go too far back and they could hit the bolts that hold on the dust shield to the red. cover.

Aftermarket has those bolt now for about 1/2 that much.
 
I would like to know who has those bolts aftermarket? I need a couple very bad and had been holding off because of the price. Thanks
 
Rich, it sounds as though your operating sleeve is rocking. This is likely the "rapping" sound you hear and as it does this it will shear the clutch bolts off. If you take off your belt pulley you will see that the hole on the sleeve the stationary pin goes through will probably be elongated. This sleeve, which is supposed to not rock back and forth IS, and is causing you trouble. Take everything apart and you will see this. Hope this helps. Mike
 
Rick it sounds like a broken flywheel or louse on the crank i have flywheels, crankshafts and clutch parts for all years between 1940 and 1952 Modle A s Kent
 
I would also have to say loose clutch drive hub or flywheel. A fella about a month ago had the same problem, turned out to be loose flywhee. it appeared tight to the eye, but when the nut was removed, it was found to be loose. I had the same problem on my 720 Diesel.
 
The clutch driving disk is the heavy counterbalanced part that fits onto the crankshaft. If very good the end of the crankshaft will be back in about 1/4" from the end of the driver. If bad it will be flush or even the crank will protrude through.

Did that bolt head look banged up ? and did the bolts that hold the dust shield on look banged up ? These are to also have a lock wire run through them so they don't back out.
 
I just recieved a new flyer in the mail the other day from Riley tractor parts and these clutch operating bolts are listed as a new item.
They have 12 different part numbers available.
I got set up as a dealer many many years ago back when they just started up.
 
Okay, the only marks I could find are impact marks on the shank of the operating bolt that broke. The operating bolt heads look fine and the dust shield bolts look good too. One other thing I found was the hole in the operating sleeve is elongated a bit which would cause the operating sleeve to bang back and forth which I suppose could create the stress on the operating bolts. The only problem I have with this theory is that the rapping noise seemed to start too quickly to be caused by the elongated hole. I"d think that it would have started quietly and gradually increased as the wear in the hole got worse but who knows.
Thanks,
Rich
 
I would fix that elongated hole. The only problem I have had that cause was a clutch to be loose one time and tight another makeing it hard to hold adjustment. Didn't notice any noise.
Look close at the clutch toggles and dogs. I think the dogs are the parts with 2 ears that work those bolts. Every so often you see an ear broke off. Lube the ends of the toggles good with grease.
How is your clutch driver splines ? Are they loose to the crankshaft ?
 
No the clutch driver is new. As for the clutch toggles and dogs everything looks good. Someone else mentioned that the linkage may have too much throw and may be adjusted incorrectly. It isn't clear how to adjust that for less throw besides bringing the pulley brake in closer.
Thanks,
Rich
 
That noise could be coming from a loose fylwheel like the others said. I have had them do this before. You can hear it out of the pulley but not on the fylwheel side. They can fool you. You could even run it with the pulley assy. off.

I don't have any farther ideas of how the bolts broke ? maybe just old age ?
 
Okay, I figured it out. The flywheel is cracked. The crank splines are a little beat up but probably okay. Does anyone know where I could get an A3264R flywheel?
Thanks,
Rich
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top