John Deere Pedal Tractor

Tyler Wind

New User
I was hoping someone could help me out with a question. I will warn you that this is going to sound very, very odd, especially considering I"m 29 years old. Regardless, I had a John Deere pedal tractor that my parents got me sometime in the early 80"s. As silly as it may seem, it was probably one of my most valued possessions. Unfortunately, I learned last night that I lost my little pedal tractor in a big barn fire at my parent"s house. I have a few pictures and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me identify the exact model. Although it will not be my tractor, I"m determined to find an exact replacement regardless of price. Any help you can offer (in this odd situation) is greatly appreciated! I"m going to try to post a picture of my tractor--thanks again!
v51.jpg
 
I have one that I believe is identical to that one but it is in need of work, rear wheels etc. It sat outside for years. I believe mine is a model 520 cast aluminum body, steel wheels. I may sell it.
 
They call that the 30 series pedal tractor.

They are readily available to replace the one you lost.

Should be able to find one on ebay or other toy sales and stores.

It is not crazy to want to keep your pedal tractor from the kid days.

I'm 50 and still have mine.

If you are close to Eastern Iowa I can help locate one if you want. They are not real high cost at this time. $150-$300

Gary
 
Thanks for the replies! I had heard that there were 3 models of my pedal tractor with subtle differences--does anyone know anything about that? I heard the seats, decals, and steering wheels are different. I'm currently located in South Carolina and my family is in Virginia. Regardless, if I find the right tractor I'm willing to pay shipping to get it. It seems most of them I see on eBay are in the mid-west...apparently I was the only cool kid out east that kept my tractor. :) Please shoot me an email of post of a message if you have a tractor that may work for me--I appreciate all the help I can get!
 
Yes there was later ones to resemble the 40 series JD. The decals had black strips and the seat and steering wheel were black plastic.

As far as variations in the 30 series I don't think there were any. They used the same aluminium castings for both the 30 and 40 and maybe even the 50 series.

Gary
 
Well, if you think you're a little goofy to want a pedal tractor like you had when you was a kid, I must be way off the deep end.... I've got 15 or 20 of them, and I didn't even have one when I was a kid, and I'm 63!! Come to think of it, they hadn't even made one yet when I was that age. Welcome to the hobby. LOL
Irv*
 
Yep,that's a 30. I have one just like it out in the tool shed. Got it for my daughter for her birthday in 1976. I keep saying I'm going to restore it for here and give it back to her. Just never seem to get to it. I got new ones for both of her daughters,so hers would fit right in with theirs. Only difference with yours is,yours has a black seat,hers was yellow.
 
The one pictured is different than my daughters 30 Gary. That one has a black seat and looks like a plastic steering wheel. Hers has the yellow seat and a thinner steering wheel made of white metal.
 
Thanks again for all the replies. I exchanged emails with Gail Potter (Potter's Farm Toys) and she says mine is a "late model 4430." Apparently it has the 30 series decals but has the black plastic seat, steering wheel, and plastic front tires. I'm gathering from what everyone has said that most of the 30's series didn't have the black plastic steering wheel and seat like mine, although the decals let us know that mine is a 30 series. Now...just have to find one (and more importantly, ship it to me, which costs about as much as the tractor!)
 
Yup I found out they made 2 versions of the 30 series.

The later ones had the black seat and the early ones had the yellow seat.

Gary
 
I have this set that I'd take $300 for.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ejons/?action=view&current=100_0784.jpg" target="_blank">
100_0784.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top