John(uk) governor instructions

littlejoec

New User
Does anyone still have John(uk) governor instructions that he used to send people. I understand he isn't on here anymore. I've replaced my governor, governor didn't work before I put the new governor in. Plus set everything by the book, triple checked all settings. But still no luck getting it to work.

I got a few replies on my Franken-Fergy thread with questions about the governor.

I adjusted mine but have not had time to put it to work yet. It seems to work when I tested it.

I've watched that video several times and did it that way every time. It still don't work, but great video.
It may be the new governor assembly - quality is hit or miss on overseas manufactured units. Steiner claims to sell a unit with better quality control. Walt's tractors sells a unit made in the USA for twice the price - I suppose it's worth it if it works.

I've watched that video several times and did it that way every time. It still don't work, but great video.
I have the same problem with mine too. Adjusted everything like I watched on the video. I can get to idle down but will not go to full throttle, when I get it to go full throttle then it will not go down to idle. I had another mechanic look at it and he couldn't get it either.

It may be the new governor assembly - quality is hit or miss on overseas manufactured units. Steiner claims to sell a unit with better quality control. Walt's tractors sells a unit made in the USA for twice the price - I suppose it's worth it if it works.
I brought the new governor from Steiner because they said about quality. I didn't see anything wrong with the old governor. Old post from John(uk) said most of the time it was the linkage and not the governor. I found every post on here that I could from him. He always email the governor instructions and other instructions to people, but never posted them that I could find.

I have the same problem with mine too. Adjusted everything like I watched on the video. I can get to idle down but will not go to full throttle, when I get it to go full throttle then it will not go down to idle. I had another mechanic look at it and he couldn't get it either.
Almost everything kind of information I found they say it's the linkage and not the governor.

On mine, which is a different brand of tractor, so might not pertain to your's. I had to add to the length of the rod between the carb and gov to get it to work right.
Thanks, I'm in the process now of making sure there is no binding anywhere and trying to fix any looseness. May have to remove cover and replace the 2 needle bearing in there.

Thanks, I'm in the process now of making sure there is no binding anywhere and trying to fix any looseness. May have to remove cover and replace the 2 needle bearing in there.

When I changed the manifold on mine, the throttle rod lever on the carb, and the idle adjust screw was binding on the manifold.

The on the other end of that rod at the governor arm, someone had replaced the clevis with a 1/4" bolt with two nuts jambed together to hold it in place. That was binding too. I replaced that with a clevis and all the linkage is all smooth and free.

The governor works but I've not had time yet to set idle and WOT speeds with a tach.

Is the throttle control plunger/governor lever spring in good shape?

You might have to loosen the U-bolt on the end of throttle rod that hold the compensating spring to adjust WOT once idle is set.

Guesses, I'm still learning Ferguson.....

When I changed the manifold on mine, the throttle rod lever on the carb, and the idle adjust screw was binding on the manifold.

The on the other end of that rod at the governor arm, someone had replaced the clevis with a 1/4" bolt with two nuts jambed together to hold it in place. That was binding too. I replaced that with a clevis and all the linkage is all smooth and free.

The governor works but I've not had time yet to set idle and WOT speeds with a tach.

Is the throttle control plunger/governor lever spring in good shape?

You might have to loosen the U-bolt on the end of throttle rod that hold the compensating spring to adjust WOT once idle is set.

Guesses, I'm still learning Ferguson.....
I found today that the throttle rod at times barely rubs on a manifold nut near the front of engine.

I did a little more work on my TO-30. After fixing the carb/gov linkage I'm still not getting good WOT. Does not seem to be limited by the governor, throttle valve is WOT.

I hooked up my analyzer/tach/dwell. Not sure if it's not working right? Dwell was stable and reasonable, and points checked out O.K. But tach was giving crazy readings for idle and WOT.

I rechecked the points (Blue Streaks) and found the gap was good , but they were not making good contact all the way across the contacts, one was ~ 1/3 miss allinged with the other. Faces were parallel just points were off. No way to bend things to get correct. I cleaned up the faces and reset the gap, dwell was about the same after this. Static timed to 6 degrees.

Still not getting good WOT and tach readings still crazy. Tried adjusting main jet on carb that did not seem to effect things at WOT.

I ordered a new set of Blue Streaks and will fix that before I play with more things.

Will use my tach/dwell on another point system to see if it has gone wacky........

My understanding is John(uk) died a few years ago. I was hoping someone still had his "governor adjustment" file on their computer and would share it. Yes, he was a great source for information on Ferguson tractors.

My understanding is John(uk) died a few years ago. I was hoping someone still had his "governor adjustment" file on their computer and would share it. Yes, he was a great source for information on Ferguson tractors.
This is what he sent me. I had to go through a few old hard drives to find it. Good luck
Oldgit

Attachments

• ENGINE.Repair & Adjust Eng Governor TO20 & TO30.pdf
    714.9 KB · Views: 74
  • ENGINE.Resetting the Governor on a Standard Carb Engine.pdf
    274.4 KB · Views: 77
  • OIL.Transmission and Hydraulic oil TE20 -.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 58
  • TYRES Tyre Pressures.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF2860.JPG
    DSCF2860.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF2861.JPG
    DSCF2861.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF2862.JPG
    DSCF2862.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 54
Thank you very much, I was hoping someone still had these files. Not knowing him he seem like a expert on Ferguson tractors. I saw on the net where he was a Ferguson mechanic working on Ferguson tractors for over 40 years. Again, Thank You.

John (UK) was very much our go to for problems. He had worked in a Ferguson factory in England, and was a great contributor here for our problems. He is very much missed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back