Jubilee steering leak

BearGap

I am getting gear oil leakage around the shaft of the left gear arm at the gear housing. The shop manual indicates there is packing along that shaft. Is it possible to just tighten the nut on that shaft to snug up the packing like on a water valve? When full of gear oil, the steering is fine, but as it leaks down over a few months it will start to stiffen up unless refilled. That nut and shaft have been painted over several times, so I expect it will be hard to turn, but before trying that I thought it might be good to ask.

Tightening that nut won't help the leak. You're either going to have to reveal the steering box, or replace the fill plug with a grease fitting, and use grease instead of oil. The oil will still leak, until it's all gone, but the grease will stay put, and protect your bearings and sectors. My Jubilee has had a grease fitting in it's steering box for 35+ years, and works fine.

Some people replace the oil in a leaky gearbox with corn head grease,
very good lube and does not leak out like regular gear oil,

Regular Grease will work too, but you will need to be sure you fill the box so the top bearings get lube,
I understand Taking the box out and rebuilding it is quite a job for some one who has never done it before,

You are looking at the wrong ship manual if you see packing and a pack nut.

The sector arm has a seal, its not difficult to replace.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back