Jubilee stuck in gear

BearGap

I was in a hurry to finish mowing so I could free up the Jubilee I've had for nearly 20 years for helping with hay which we have now cut (this has been the tractor of choice for tedding and raking). Alas, I slipped going from 3rd to 2nd and got into 1st for a moment, but then the shifter locked up and will not move. It looks like it might be stuck in 1st and 2nd right now, I am unable to get the shift cover off as the shifter is locked into place, and of course the tractor won't run. I tried shifting the link I can see through the screw off fill cover, but that makes no difference. I tried rocking the tractor and moving the shifter, but no success. The motor continued running fine when this happened, as long as the clutch was in, but the tractor will not roll. We have 4 tractors on the farm and this one has been my favorite for the most variety of jobs, but it is just blocking the barn drive now. Any ideas?

Pull top cover and move the shift rails back into neutral, and carefully reinstall the top cover several times till you stab it correctly.

Inspect top cover socket for wear and end of shifter rod as well.

Thanks for the reply. Alas, I can't get the top cover off as the shift rod is stuck in whatever gate combination it is stuck in. I can lift the edge about 1/4 and peer through the fill hole, but that's it. I moved the one gate I can reach to no avail.

I am now considering trying to pull the tractor backwards to relieve whatever is binding, although rocking the wheels has not helped.

Better to jack up one rear wheel than to try dragging in backward. But I dont believe that will help you.

I think you are going to have to TRY a bit harder to get the cover off. I am betting the shifter is stuck between two shift forks, that would keep you from from lifting the cover. Like getting your finger stuck someplace it got into but cannot get out of.

Typically when they get stuck in gear the lever is out of the slot it should be in. When that happens you can wiggle the lever, but still cant shift it.

As you try to lift the cover, try moving the lever around to work it out from between the forks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back