Kawasaki 286 cc FE290 9 horsepower engine

gdtractor

NOT sure where to ask this .. but ..... I put a Kawasaki 286 cc FE290 9 horsepower engine in my side by side....
it had a 390 Honda that caught on fire and ruined it ..
I put the Kawasaki 286 cc FE290 9 horsepower engine in the side by side .. runs starts good ..
when I run it a few minutes .. it acts like it isn't getting gas ..
It appears by looking on the web ... that this Kawasaki 286 cc FE290 9 horsepower engine came out of a Golf Cart ..
My question is ... DOES IT NEED FUEL PUMP of some kind?
This may not be the place to ask .. but I have ALWAYS found through the years ... that I find answers here ..
The new engine has FE290 on the bottom of the main block .. so I think it is a Golf Cart engine .. bought it off Facebook ..
Thanks so much ...
Gary

I need to add that the carb has this number of it .. FE290D
Think I need to add a fuel pump?

thanks much

Gary

The Kawasaki F-290 D engine was the engine for the older Club Car gas carts and caryalls. A good engine but was not all that powerful. The FE 350 that replaced it was more powerful. I ran the shop for local golf course for 8+ years and we had several of the 290 engines in use.
Yes that engine did use a fuel pump and the carburetor float valve is probably not opening without the slight pressure from the fuel pump. This engine used a small vacuum operated pump like the Kohler and Briggs engine do.
Unless some one has plugged it there is a fitting in the crankcase where the vacuum line attaches to operate the pulsing diaphragm for the pump action. It is usually located near the RPM limiter on the front of the engine under the carburetor. 2 or 3 psi is all that is needed from the pump. Those lines occasionally got clogged by crankcase sludge and had to be cleaned out when the engine wouldn't not get enough gas to run on.
Buying the Kohler/Briggs pump will be about 1/2 of the Club Car pump and it will work just fine. The lines may be in a different position but those rubber hoses will take care of that problem for you. Also those engines have an RPM limiter that works like a governor, don't run it with that disconnected or the engine may overspeed and put the rod through the crankcase. They also have an internal balance shaft for smooth running.

THANKS SO MUCH !! I HAD NO IDEA UNTIL I LOOKED UP THE CARB .. ON AMAZON AND IT HAD A FUEL PUMP WITH IT ..
I HIRED A PERSON TO PUT THE ENGINE IN ... AND I DID NOT KNOW (NOR DID HE) THAT I NEEDED A FUEL PUMP ..
I WILL HAVE TO FIGURE THIS OUT .. :)
THERE IS A BLACK FUEL LIKE LINE RUNNING OUT OF WHAT I WOULD CALL A SMALL TAPPIT COVER .. WITH OVH (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT) ON IT ... WOULD THAT BE WHERE IT GOES?

THANKS AGAIN !!
GARY

I actually have an inline electric pump ... that will work?
I can easily put that in .... between the gas tank and fuel filter - can't I?

Thanks SO much ..

Gary
PS: is there one you would recommend? plz
T U

504:
I have a 12 volt MICRO ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP - universal design for most domestic 4, 6, & 8 cylinder carb applications ..
will it work or too much ? I don't see a # number or limit on it ...
the number #12S on it ... thx much
Gary

I would say the 12 volt pump would be way more than you will need for fuel as its for 4 - 8 cylinders and maybe too much pressure. I would stick with a small low pressure pump as was suggested.

The line that is connected to the valve tappet cover is the crankcase vent line, so don't change it.The connection you are looking for should be on the carburetor side. Look under the carburetor and you should see a small rectangular box with wires coming to and from it. If some one has removed it or bypassed it you could be in danger of over revving your engine since the governor for this setup was in the transmission connected to the throttle shaft in the carburetor by a cable. The governer controllled the wheel speed and thus worked the throttle by a cable connection. The connection should be just below this box.

okay .... thanks a lot ...
I will look .... and see ... if I can find it. ..
I can get a new fuel pump (original) on amazon but hooking it up will be the trick .. :)

again ... thanks much ...
perhaps I can find a pic of it too online somewhere ...
Do you think my 4 - 7 electric fuel pump is too much too?
THanks
Gary

cvphoto134389.jpg

see pic . is this it?
Gary

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back