Kohler non-VR 14hp Command Rider CV14ST-1490 charging battery @ 16.0v

MrCreosote

New User
This engine does not have the 3-wire Voltage Regulator bolted to the shroud cover - just 2 wires disappearing up under the shroud inboard of the oil filter.

I've looked at the service manual and the non-VR models have a "3-amp" charging system and says charging voltage should be <14.7v.

I have a new fully charged U1R 300cca battery and it is charging 16.0v at idle and max throttle (how is that possible w/o VR?)

Any thoughts?

I don't know about your Kohler. But:

A similar question came up about two weeks ago on a Briggs and Stratton with non regulated charging system. It was going up to about 16 volts too. We called our Briggs tech. line. The Briggs rep said it would be o.k.

I think the reasoning is although the voltage is going a bit high, the amps going through the battery are still pretty low. The volts have to go over 12.6 volts or no charging will take place. On a regulated system I like to see between 13 to 14.5 volts at full load.

I am assuming you don't have any high resistance connections in your wiring and your battery is in good condition.

Temperature makes a difference too, I recall one mower that when cranked below 40 degrees F. the voltage would go over 15 volts. Then start back down, getting to about 14.5 in about 5 minutes. If the engine was above 40 degrees, the voltage from the regulator stayed less than 15 volts.

This $17 regulator caught my eye:
$17 Amazon 10 amp regulator

1712879811016.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back