kyhayman-have a question

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Locals are all up in arms here over a load of hay one of the local feed stores is selling. The popular assumption is this is a clover. The state of origin allegedly Kentucky.
The complaints are: (1) Some of the clover is black.-Ive heard that mower conditioners set really close can do this?
(2) Once the horse owners have gotten some of this stuff home, supposedly mold begins to appear.
My thought on #2 two was that the average in Kentucky has been about 10-15 degrees cooler than here, and our slightly warmer climate may be better growing conditions for whatever is growing on the hay.-Have you ever heard of good product going bad once delivered hundreds of miles away in another region?
Thanks, Ed Parker
 
I don't have much hay experience, but I can't see that happening without some significant "event" in between.

How was the hay transported? - semi van, tarped flatbed, open flatbed, railcar?

Nathaniel
 
Not the cutting height, but the pressure set on the crimp rollers that the product passes through. I've never seen that, but I believe I have heard it. Have you ever seen crop that turned black because of excessive pressure on rollers? It probably is just some bad hay. I also believe alot of the locals are wearing their feelings on their sleeves due to the price- $6.50 14x18 @55lbs
 
Heck no, the more pressure the better.

I'd be upset too. If it is black and moldy, they were sold some bad hay.

Allan
 
Well, I guess I had better not take sides in this, but there isn't a helluva lot of hay around here anymore. Also, I dont know how the store came by the hay, and the buying process. I just don't think anyone in business would intentionally sell bad product. One thing is for sure-the tone of the locals seems to indicate one feed store has conducted a loser of a PR campaign with this hay. Thanks for the reply.
 
"I just don't think anyone in business would intentionally sell bad product."

EB,

That's a nice sentiment, and Oh! how I wish it were true! Unfortunately, that's a naive idea.

Growing up, we had a neighbor that sold chopped hay to several feedlots, our place adjoined one of his [u:654c4848f0]rented[/u:654c4848f0] stack yards. Over the course of 15+ years, we saw him mix a variety of waste forage in with his "alfalfa hay". He also lowered the floor of the stack yard by 24" some places as he purposely scooped dirt into the hay grinder.

I never worked for him (he wanted to hire me), and my family never had any business dealings with him.

Nathaniel
 
I"d really have to see the hay in question to make a different answer.
However in the mean time I shall say all hay once it has dried may be dusty.
I have baled green clover and black clover the only difference between them the color. If an individual is lucky enough to cut, crimp, windrow, and dry his clover in a couple three hot days and nights, the clover will bale green. Now if an individual happens to cut, crimp, windrow his crop with extreme differences between day and night causing a heavy dew to settle over that windrowed hay some of that clover is going to bale black. If the same individual cuts, crimps, and leaves his hay spread out to dry and its hit with a heavy dew, all the clover will bale black. Also even a liight rain will turn the clover black. A medium to heavy rain may ruin hay poorly dried making it only usable as free choice along side good hay feeding cattle.
What to do? Cut it, dry it your way, and feed it the hay will be alright.
This is what I know, particularly without seeing a sample.
Fernan



<ul><li><a href="http://journals.aol.com/fmgruber/FernansShorthornFarmLife">My Shorthorn country</a></ul>
 
Wow, I dont check a day or so and get a whole string with my name on it, lol.

Sounds like clover hay to me, probably medium red, variety Kenland or common. Cures black as coal most of the time, and dusty as all get out. It could be spoiled, certainly, but that sounds common to about half of that put up here. If its bad, its bad.

If its not, the dust could be leaf hairs from the clover. No kidding, I've had to clean air filters ever hour round baling the stuff when the tractor started missing. Completely plug a set of cab air intakes on a 7710 in that time.

The color, once again, if it hasnt spoiled, can happen before its cut. The stuff wants to lodge and grow horizontal. If its mixed with grass, it gets soil fungi on it. Makes an aweful mess to cut. I turned out better than 5 tons per acre dry hay on one cutting last year of it mixed with timothy, and it went into the bale looking ugly. Its not horse hay at that color. The fungi that causes the discoloration is Rhizoctonia leguminacola, which produces a mycotoxin, slaframine. It will slobber horses, and if they are inside causes a nasty high colic.

Feed value on the ugly stuff I put up was, on forage test, 13.5% moisture, 16% protein (CP), 1.4% heat damaged protein, and 52% TDN. Cows will fight over it.

Personally, I wont sell it looking like that. I cant stand the bad press. If hay's that short in your neck of the woods has anyone thought of getting their own up here? That feed store has got to be making money as well as running the truck.
 
Thanks kyhayman. I really feel the owner of the feed store is getting shafted. There, I did it, took sides. This clover may be fine for cattle, or other ungulates. Maybe it's not right for equine, and that's fine, I just really feel that people saying he's trying to rip people off isn't right because the appearance of this load of hay "isn't right". We may not have this particular type of forage around here. I will convey to my customers if they don't feel comfortable with it for horses they are probably right. Another thing I didn't mention earlier-these people bought the hay, and handled it at the store! How could you buy it, handle it, and then take it to your operation without noticing it may be questionable hay. Then say they got ripped off!BUYER BEWARE!
Your question about hauling-NO! Not me! After hearing the trashing this store is getting-let the locals find their own. I very much believe he was trying to get hay in stock because his production stock played out--and mainly as a service to his customer. Lots of people still have weekend livestock, and need small squares. According to statistics on Alabama's equine market the pleasure horse population in Alabama has doubled in ten years-among other reasons for hay shortages. You still have other people with small cattle operations that need small square also. I believe he was doing the best that they could, this is what he has-don't like it-don't buy it--also don't trash somebody for trying.
 
Glad to help!! Seems like he's trying to help, and probably will cost him big bucks in the long run. I saw some really pretty stuff that came in here by rail from Canada going for $15.00 per small square at the Ky Horse Park today.

 
I believe you have some "hay snobs" blaming the feed store guy for something he has no control over. You said the hay didn't start molding until after the horse owners got it home. All the red clover I've ever seen turned black right after it was cut.
 
Well, the people I've talked to acknowledge that it was black WHEN they bought it. The mold wasn't "noticed" until they got it to their barn. Part snob, part ignorance, part histeria.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top