Late model JD B clutch problem

Richard G.

I cranked the State Ag Museums B about 10 days ago to move it out of the building they were serving food in for a banquet.
Transmission in neutral when I cranked it.
Snapped the clutch back and the only way I could get the pulley to stop was to really pull back hard to get it in gear.
Clutch was making a terrible grinding noise.
Got it in gear and engaged clutch and noise went away.
Went to stop and pulled back the clutch and it kept trying to pull unless I pulled back very hard to make the pulley brake stop it.Noise was loud again.
4 days later, went to put it back in the building and everything worked normal with no noise.
Clutch worked great.
Can the floating disk on the inside rust up and stick to make it do that and then break loose to work fine?
Thanks,
Richard in NW SC

Your explanation is as good or better than anything I can come up with. If you get a chance go run it some more and see how it acts. Maybe slip the clutch starting it out going up a few hills to help polish up the facings ?

Thanks Mike I will do that in a few days when I go back over there.
I don't want the younger folks that work there to try to move it till I make sure it is right.
Richard

Yep, probably will do that just to show the young men how it's done.
They want to learn all they can about tractors, even though one of them grew up on a farm near here.

Richard

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back