lathe chuck

teddy52food

Does anyone know where I can get a wood turning chuck for my metal lathe? It has a 1 1/2 x 8 thread spindle. The chucks I find are 1 inch x 8 threads. I suppose I will have to turn a morse taper on a 1 inch shaft, install it in the spindle, then turn the thread. I will do it if I can't find the right one.

What are you calling a wood turning chuck?

My wood lathe has a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck which can be used to turn wood.

My metal lathe has a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck which can be (and has been) used to turn wood or metal.

I have been turning wood with my metal chuck too. I would like to upgrade to a 4 jaw wood turning chuck. They have way more holding surface. I have a bunch of home made face plates that I made as needed but still need to chuck some projects in a jaw chuck.

Hey Don, how are you and Merry Christmas. I taught high school shop and did a lot of wood turning. Most was lamps and pedestal tables because that is what the kids liked to do. I think you need a spur center, which is on a taper. You could buy a spur center and turn the morse taper to straight and chuck it up in your 3 jaw chuck. Ellis

Spur center won't work. I turn bowls & now am going to make lids to use as urns. The top of the lid is turned 1st using a face plate on the inside. Then I have a 2 or 3 inch knob at the top of the lid that I chuck up to turn the inside. I don't want to tighten the 3 jaw ckuck too much as it will dent the knob. A wood lathe chuck grips it all around. I am doing OK. I was worried about you after the storm. How close was it?

The Grizzly catalog I just got had chucks for wood lathes in it. (I never knew they existed, Dad's wood lathe had a #2 Morse taper and he always used the 'dog' with the four barbs to turn between centers.)

I also don't know what the differences between a 'wood turning chuck' and one for metal turning would be. I would think you already had a metal chuck for your metal lathe.

The only time he ever had the face plate on it was the time he broke his finger trying to make a bowl.

P.S. If you can turn a 1-1/2-8 thread on your metal lathe, you can make an adapter for about any chuck you come up with.

I would need to turn a 1 x 8 thread for most that I found. But Grizzly has one in 1 1/2 x 8, so I will order that. Foreign made of course.

A variety of 1X1/4 strap (or pipe/tubing) made into various sized circles with a 1/4 inch gap could be used to buffer the clamping force of a 3 jaw metal chuck. I make collets with 3 segments to clamp small work firmly with no marring of the finished surface. Jim

I would rather have the chuck with the proper jaws. Not loose pieces that could be dangerous. I have used a worm screw hose clamp but if it tighten it too tight I get the little indentations too.' I found one at Grizzly that will fit my lathe. I may try to find a 1 inch bolt so I can adapt the one I have also. Then I won't have to turn threads. Thanks anyway.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back