replacing Jacobs chuck on a drill press

super99

I bought an old Rockwell drill press cheap and need to replace the chuck with a new one. I got the old one off, it's rough and hard to read but I can make out Jacobs 33 Morse taper and 5/64-1/2 DC on it. I looked on Amazon for Jacobs chucks and they are listed as JT3, none say anything about 33 Morse Taper. Will this work or am I looking at the wrong chuck? The one I am looking at is 1/32 -5/8, it says it fits MT 3 tapered arbors, will this work on the drill press? Thanks, Chris
I'll add pictures in another post

Just to clarify, Morse and Jacobs are two different tapers. Typically, the Jacobs taper will go from the chuck to the shaft the chuck mounts on, and the Morse taper will be at the other end, and go from the shaft the chuck mounts on to the drill. There is, to my knowledge, no such thing as a 33 Morse taper, but the Jacobs 33 is a common one for mounting drill chucks. Page below gives some common tapers, with measurements.
common tapers

I also bought this Rockwell 15-833 adapter.
https://www.renovoparts.com/15-833-morse-taper-spindle-adapter/
Not from that source, keep an eye out for it on ebay. I got a new unused old stock one a year ago for $65

MT2 spindle adapter for a Rockwell/Delta 15 inch variable speed drill press (model #15-***) or 17" or anything with the jacobs 33 taper.
This is the adapter that screws in place of the Jacobs JT-33 and adapts to a MT #2 taper.

I run that on my 17" Rockwell variable speed D. P. and the chuck on my 15" Rockwell variable speed D.P.

With the MT2 adapter I can go up to 1" bit.
Used Taper shank bits can be found at flea markets and craigslist, etc. For cheap $$ as they are not as prevalent outside of industrial uses. And they are almost always U.S.A. made too.

Most likely the spindle on your drill press is a Morse taper of some sort either MT2 or MT3. The drill chuck is a JT33. They are joined by an adapter.

If you bring the drill press spindle all the way down you should see an oval slot running through from one side to the other. This is so you can drive a wedge into the slot to dislodge the Morse taper end of the adapter from the spindle. There are also fork-shaped wedges that will allow you to dislodge the chuck from the adapter.

mrpete222 on youtube has quite a few videos on Morse and Jacobs tapers, such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtNM8-VUvrg

As someone else said EBay is an excellent place to find good used tooling, I have purchase 4 Jacobs chucks there from small to large and a 5/8 Albrecht for my Bridgeport and all of them cost less than one new one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back