lead free paints and primers?

Mountain_a

New User
Hi all,
I'm looking to convert and old derilect manure spreader I have into a mobile chicken coop, the chains, sprockets, and all the spreading equipment is too far gone. However the chassis is in excellent shape and I
thought I'd turn it into a mobile chicken coop. The paint on it is currently flaking very badly and I don't want my chickens eating lead chips. Any chance there are lead free paints and primers on the market? Spray
and brush paint are both fine, however I highly doubt there are any lead free sprays.

The feds banned lead in all paint products back in the late 70's in all forms (spray or brush). Any paint you buy these days won't have lead in it. Any rust paint should do just fine. If you're going to paint over the old paint rather than strip it, a conventional (oil-based) rust paint would probably adhere best - any Rustoleum or Tremclad rust paint should do fine.

That's all that is on the market. They haven't made paint with lead in it more than 40 years. Lead used to be used as a pigment for white paint. The amount of lead in the old paint was so low I don't think it would hurt them to eat a few chips anyway.

Where u been? Lead has been banned for ages. And lots of paint is all water base nowadays. Even body shops squawk about it.

A body shop should squawk about it. You can't go anywhere without seeing a factory paint jobs pealing off the primer and the reason for it is water based paint.

i switched my shop over to ppg envirobase water born paint over ten years ago. no problem at all. never had any peeling or delamination. color match is spot on. primers and clears are solvent base, the color coat is water born.

Hi all,
I'm looking to convert and old derilect manure spreader I have into a mobile chicken coop, the chains, sprockets, and all the spreading equipment is too far gone. However the chassis is in excellent shape and I
thought I'd turn it into a mobile chicken coop. The paint on it is currently flaking very badly and I don't want my chickens eating lead chips. Any chance there are lead free paints and primers on the market? Spray
and brush paint are both fine, however I highly doubt there are any lead free sprays.
Read the labels, and/or read the Safety Data Sheet for the paint you want to use. You want to see the words "Lead Free", not "Non Lead". By EPA regulations if it has less than 1% lead it can be labeled "Non Lead", but "Lead Free" should have 0% lead.

Yes, you can still buy paint with lead in it. It is still made for some industrial applications. You probably can't get it at your local Home Depot or Lowes, but it still pays to read the label.

The only thing the Federal Government banned lead paint for in 1978 is interior of a residence, and "Child Occupied Facilities". "Child Occupied Facilities" are schools and/or day care type of facilities where children under 12 are present.
Some states and local governments may have more restrictive regulations than federal EPA.

As for lead paint being banned "for more than 40 years", I bought DuPont Automotive paint in the early 2000's that very clearly stated on the can: CONTAINS LEAD

The feds banned lead in all paint products back in the late 70's in all forms (spray or brush). Any paint you buy these days won't have lead in it. Any rust paint should do just fine. If you're going to paint over the old paint rather than strip it, a conventional (oil-based) rust paint would probably adhere best - any Rustoleum or Tremclad rust paint should do fine.
It's good to know that current paint materials are lead-free, which means safer painting procedures. When dealing with rust, typical rust paints such as Rustoleum or Tremclad are recommended for maximum adhesion, whether painting over existing layers or starting from scratch.

and only last's a few years instead of fifty like the good old lead paint , but i never did eat paint or my abestos brake shoes

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back