leaking fuel tank

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member

What can I do to stop a small leak under my fuel tank. It is a slow drip that doesn't appear to be rubbing anything that would cause a hole.

I'm just guessing it's coming from age.
 
Whats the tank on it can make a difference as to how to fix it. Does it come form around the sediment bowl or some where else?? If its a small pin type hole a good tank liner might be the ticket. But if its a bigger hole like at a mounting bracket then probably a new or used tank
Hobby farm
 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POR-15-US-Standard-Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Quart-POR15_W0QQitemZ170202738113QQcmdZViewItem
 
Conventional wisdom is don"t solder a gas tank because it will blow up in your face. I"m fairly unconventional and I have fixed a number of gas tanks by soldering up the rust holes. What blows up is the residual gasoline vapors trapped in the seams and the old varnish on the sides and bottom. I have found that if you put an air hose in the tank and keep enough air moving inside to keep the vapors below the flash point, you are good to go.
Second.... Don"t use open flame. Get an old copper tinning iron and heat it off to the side somewhere away from the gas fumes. Scrape and sand as much corrosion off the tin as you can without going thru. When you get it bright, use plumbers tinning flux to pretin the steel. It"s better yet if it"s old galvanized because solder likes it more. Once you have got the metal tinned, try to build up the solder thickness by puddling the liquid solder. I have bridged many a pinhole doing it this way. once you get it looking like it will hold water, rinse it out with OSPHO which will dissolve a lot of the interior rust. Rinse that out well and blow dry.
Once you"ve got it to hold liquids again you can go for one of those fancy sealers or just use it till it leaks again somewhere else.
 
My local NAPA dealer suggested JB Weld to repair a leak on my WD-45. The leak was in center of tank under the support so could not be seen. I cleaned the outside of the tank where i'd seen the leak and applied JB Weld generously. After curing, I painted tank and have used it for 5 years with not the slightest hint of gasoline. It's a whale of lot easier than solder or welding and better than most sealers.
 
Red coat. I did my WD last year, haven't had a problem since. Just did a C last night, some of the holes ran rather than dripped out. So I JB welded the outside and red coated the in. My DA sander smoothed the JB up pretty good.
 
Hey Old, And just where would a person be able to buy a NEW Gas tank for an Allis Chamlers C ??????I hope you know.Thanks

Don
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top