Nancy Howell
Well-known Member
Sunday afternoon, hubby cranked up two of our JD tractors and said let's go for a ride. I hadn't felt particularly good and had spent most of the day inside. After we got back, we put the tractors up. As we always do, we shut the gas off to let the tractors run out of gas. I had driven our '46 A slant dash. The shut off valve at the bowl is on the right side (clutch side). As I leaned in to turn off the valve with my right hand, my long hair slid down and over my left shoulder. My eyes where drawn to the spinning clutch and it occurred to me what would have happened if I had been closer to the clutch and it had gotten into the clutch. I backed up immediately, tucked my hair up securely, then turned the gas off. Normally I put my hair up in a braid and this wouldn't have happened, but since I had spent most of the day inside, it was loose. This made a serious impression on me and it won't happen again. You gentlemen may not have the hair issue, but be cautious about loose clothing and moving tractor parts!