Liberating a Barn Find

JohnC IND

Greetings! It's been too long since I've been on this site. A friend wants to sell me his barn found 8N. If I read the serial number correctly, (lots of surface rust and lousy bifocals) it's *8N233854*. I thought I recalled it was a '52, however. The hood is off due to gunk in the gas tank. About ten years ago or so, we had it running with his intention of restoration.His business then got very busy, and it's sat for that long in a drafty floorless garage sinking into the dirt. It has evidence of oil leaks at the right lift arm pivot and around the governor. Fairly straight sheet metal, Ford script fenders, a seat with a coil spring and shock absorber, 2900+ hours on the proof meter. Original headlights and worklite. One rear tire is new, one is about half worn out. Calcium leaking our of both rear rims, no weights. Mismatched front rims and tires, one good and one not-so good. He's asking $1700.00 for it. Is it worth it? Please forgive the long post.

(quoted from post at 20:54:27 05/21/09) Greetings! It's been too long since I've been on this site. A friend wants to sell me his barn found 8N. If I read the serial number correctly, (lots of surface rust and lousy bifocals) it's *8N233854*. I thought I recalled it was a '52, however. The hood is off due to gunk in the gas tank. About ten years ago or so, we had it running with his intention of restoration.His business then got very busy, and it's sat for that long in a drafty floorless garage sinking into the dirt. It has evidence of oil leaks at the right lift arm pivot and around the governor. Fairly straight sheet metal, Ford script fenders, a seat with a coil spring and shock absorber, 2900+ hours on the proof meter. Original headlights and worklite. One rear tire is new, one is about half worn out. Calcium leaking our of both rear rims, no weights. Mismatched front rims and tires, one good and one not-so good. He's asking $1700.00 for it. Is it worth it? Please forgive the long post.

Will the engine spin with the starter, and a good battery?

10 years is a long time for one to sit, but at least as I understand it wasn't raining on it.

I would say that is a might high, maybe a good bit high, not at least being able to crank it, and hear it run, and check what works, and doesn't.

Maybe $1000 high, or so.

What is the condition of the rear tires?

Ok, I re-read it, rear tires leaking calcium, I just went down to $500, at the most.

Yall big boys keep an eye on me!!

I have a 4 day, 2 paid weekend!!!

I've seen it here too many times to count:"Never pay more then $500.00 for a non-running N tractor." That's one I always remember.

Are YOU goin' skinny dipp'N? You said"keep your eyes on me"!

Happy DAYS OFF!

I gosta WORK and work fast this week-end. GOTS to get them barnacles and sea life outta big water tank! I will be sorta on board a SUB! Maybe I will call my experience THE HUNDLEY!

John, USN Circa 1864

(quoted from post at 22:18:17 05/21/09) Are YOU goin' skinny dipp'N? You said"keep your eyes on me"!

Happy DAYS OFF!

I gosta WORK and work fast this week-end. GOTS to get them barnacles and sea life outta big water tank! I will be sorta on board a SUB! Maybe I will call my experience THE HUNDLEY!

John, USN Circa 1864

John!!!!!!!!!

If'n I can come up with a good pair of tinnis shoes...

May go streakin...

Ray Stevens The Streak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPv9AtZ2zE

Don't Look, Ethel!!!

Well, I am part of the restoration CREW. Charleston, SC!!

When I served on the CAIRO, I was Chief Petty Officer....ICE MAN. Gots the "Patch" to prove IT. DRESS COVERALLS!!!!!!

John.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back