Lift Stay Chain Length

Ford 2000; 3-cyl diesel; 8 speed trans.....I was trying to lift an implement into a guy's pickup truck and the lift arms didn't seem to go as high as they could. I noticed that the two short stay chains inside the lift arms were stretched straight and tight. Is it feasible to get some additions lift height by making these chains another two or three links long? I don't know if they act as a stop to the lift arms or not and do not want to jepordize the health of the lift by adding chain length. Comments?

You could simply disconnect the chains to see if it will lift any higher. If it does lift higher, then you can think about adding links to the chains, but keep in mind that doing so might allow the implement to sway too much side-to-side.

You could simply disconnect the chains to see if it will lift any higher. If it does lift higher, then you can think about adding links to the chains, but keep in mind that doing so might allow the implement to sway too much side-to-side.

You can make the chains a few links long and connect the chain with a clevis link. Then you can change length easy.

You can make the chains a few links long and connect the chain with a clevis link. Then you can change length easy.
That's what I was thinking also but didn't know if the chains act as a 'stop' so that nothing is pulled apart in the lift mechanism at maximum lift. Will give that a try tomorrow. Thanks.

That's what I was thinking also but didn't know if the chains act as a 'stop' so that nothing is pulled apart in the lift mechanism at maximum lift. Will give that a try tomorrow. Thanks.
Be sure to go to top of lift carefully in case the arms come against something like lever quadrant or seat or ??

Ford 2000; 3-cyl diesel; 8 speed trans.....I was trying to lift an implement into a guy's pickup truck and the lift arms didn't seem to go as high as they could. I noticed that the two short stay chains inside the lift arms were stretched straight and tight. Is it feasible to get some additions lift height by making these chains another two or three links long? I don't know if they act as a stop to the lift arms or not and do not want to jepordize the health of the lift by adding chain length. Comments?
You are playing with fire. I have never been able to duplicate the original 7 link configuration. When ever I run across one that has been modified I buy a new check chain kit I replace all with new jewelry.

The chains on mine will be almost taught at max lift something on the hitch so it doesn't sway much in transport. I got a set of stabilizers from this site to use with my 3-point rake. Made a world of difference raking on hillsides and with the York rake.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back