Lifting rear end of 53 Super H

Dwashebek

I need to investigate a noise underneath my 53 Super H. It only happens when the tractor is moving and is tinny sounding. Trans oil is 85/140 and
new. What is the safest way to lift the rear of the tractor to allow the rear wheels to spin so I can crawl underneath to investigate? Blocking under the drawbar? Blocking on each side of the drawbar under axle housings? Thanks in advance. The noise is driving me insane so any advice on that is also appreciated.

I want to listen where the tinny noise is coming from, so I’m concerned about getting underneath with the rear wheels spinning. I can’t tell where the nois is coming from while driving the tractor.

Farmall H's & SH's seem to have a habit of wearing out brake counter shaft bearings. When that happens the balls have a tendency to fall into the transmission case along with the metal band that originally kept the balls where they are supposed to be. These tend to make unusual noises inside the housings as the tractor is driven. Drain the rear end & fish a little with a magnet to see if you catch anything. If the grease is good, you can re-use it. If you catch anything, you'll have to tear into it because there is not enough clearance for a ball & a rotating bull gear to occupy the same space in the bottom of the rear end housing. That cast housings will bust.

Maybe have someone drive it while you walk behind with a length of hose to your ear and check different places with the other end of the hose.

Don't need to have it running.
Jack it up with jack stands under it.
You can check each side individually. Jack up one wheel and with the transmission in neutral, turn the wheel by hand.
If you jack up both wheels, apply the brake on one wheel and turn the other.

It is also easier to listen for a noise when the tractor is not running.

What kind of a jack are you going to use? If you have a Harbor Freight within driving distance I would recommend purchasing a pair of 6 ton jack stands. Realizing these need a flat solid surface to be supported, flat concrete is best. Secondly wood 4 x 4s or 6 x 6s will work. They should be at least 2 foot long and stacked in a cribbing style, see the diagrams on the left of the 3rd page of the attached link. I would suggest first jacking up one wheel at a time and turning it by hand to see if the noise can be heard doing that.
Cribbing diagram

I would first make sure that all of the wheel related bolts are TIGHT. ALL of them. You may need to first loosen the bolts, apply some oil, and then retighten.

My Guesstament would be axle bearing. Now as to supporting the back end if you do not have good quality jack stands that will go high enough to go under the axles then cribbing with 4x4 , 6x6 's 8x8's . Now if you have never had to pull and axle on one of these critters the BOOK will tell you to pull the top deck , Us old timers can do this with out pulling the top off . You can do this thru the PTO and remove the axle retting bolt thru there that hold the BULL GEAR to the axle . If the problem is in the BULL PINION behind the brakes you will have to drop the bull gear to get the bull pinion carrier out do not try and force the bull pinion carrier out with out dropping the bull gear . a good indication of axle bearing problems are a noticeable quiver of the rear tire and wheel when you try and start to move . Having a cherry picker is almost a MUST for axle removal . I had to replace ALL the bearings in my 53 S/H when i got it and they were NOT cheap.

RELAX. First jack up ONE side with other tires chocked. With tractor in neutral turn rear wheel by hand listening for noise and feeling for roughness. If so probably bad axle bearing. Also any noticeable end play. Repeat for other side of tractor.

In my opinion the best way to get one off the ground is cribbing. 6 x 6 pieces stacked like Lincoln logs, 2 one way and 2 the other way until you can let the tractor down on it. Then switch to the other side and do it again. After that drain the rear end and pull the PTO shaft. This is easy. I bought $3.00 little lights with magnets on them to light up the inside of the transmission. If you need bearings do what tractor vet says, You don't need to pull the deck off. DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE BEARING SEAL CAGES WITHOUT DROPPING THE BULL GEAR. Don't ask how I know this. You will need help to pull the axles. You can't be in two places at once, in the transmission and out at the axle. Good Luck, Ellis

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back