Update on my loaded rear H tire

Charlie M

Got it emptied out and off the tractor. The part of the valve stem the filing valve would fit on to empty and refill the tire had bad threads so I attached a piece of tubing and let gravity empty the tire. Got
all but about 5 gallons out. Took the tire and rim off the tractor, broke down the beads by using a handyman jack against the drawbar of my M. Got the tube out and saved the remaining fluid. Got the tire off
the rim and the rim looks real good except some minor damage around the valve stem. Its not rotted completely through so not sure of the fix yet. Going to wash up the rim and call it day as we keep getting
lake affect rain off and on and the tractor is outside. For me the hardest part of the job is done. Not sure if the weather is going to give me painting time this week but if it does I might have the job done
by next weekend. Going to be good practice for next year when I have to change both rear tires on my Super C. Good news there is neither is loaded and not likely to get loaded.

The preferred repair approach depends on how deep the corrosion and pitting are around the valve stem hole in the rim.
Your welding skill matters as well. If the pitting is minor after removing all the scab rust and loose scale, you prime and paint and go back to work. If the damage is fairly serious and you are a decent welder, you drill a new hole away from the damage, cut out the damaged part, and weld in a fresh piece of solid steel from a junk rim.

I have sand blasted around the hole, and then put a plastic plug in the hole and JB Weld it, to build it up. Easiest fix I have found.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back