Light switch for 1650 Oliver

sonnythomas

I have a 1964 Model and it has a pull type light switch with 5 wires hooked on it. Got wiring figured out. Got all lights working anyway but had to by-pass the light switch.

What I found here is big round turn switch. Also have to buy the handle.

I don't want to modify the dash hole. Is there a pull type light switch available?

Light switch again. Old switch was something else. Steel posts and steels screws. I had to grind the screw heads off to get the wires off. And then the new switch is for the forked electrical ends. Tiny short screws to boot and wires are so short that is was impossible - lost 1 small screw - luckily I have a bunch of tiny screws - lost 1 of those. Mine are steel and a magnet screwdriver works wonders. Ended up grinding the old loop ends open so to slip under the tiny screws. Dremel tool is also awesome.

Okay, all in place and no power. Turned key on just in case and still no power. Key switch has power. All the wires to the new switch go in the harness. What to do?
Brother suggested running a new wire from hookup point to light switch. Which post is supposed to have power?

Old switch saw better days. Switch rusted solid - couldn't pull out to save my life.

1650 light switch 001.JPG

Light switch again. Old switch was something else. Steel posts and steels screws. I had to grind the screw heads off to get the wires off. And then the new switch is for the forked electrical ends. Tiny short screws to boot and wires are so short that is was impossible - lost 1 small screw - luckily I have a bunch of tiny screws - lost 1 of those. Mine are steel and a magnet screwdriver works wonders. Ended up grinding the old loop ends open so to slip under the tiny screws. Dremel tool is also awesome.

Okay, all in place and no power. Turned key on just in case and still no power. Key switch has power. All the wires to the new switch go in the harness. What to do?
Brother suggested running a new wire from hookup point to light switch. Which post is supposed to have power?

Old switch saw better days. Switch rusted solid - couldn't pull out to save my life.

View attachment 71189
It might help if you post a picture of the new switch, looking down on the terminals, sometimes they have some markings. What brand and part number is the new switch?

It might help if you post a picture of the new switch, looking down on the terminals, sometimes they have some markings. What brand and part number is the new switch?

I'll have to check Invoice. New switch is in tractor. I do remember one letter "H". Terminal nearest front.

Edit - Checked Invoice - no brand, no part number. Old switch has the "H" towards the front. See next pic.

Last edited:
I believe it should be black too, but if not, that far terminal is fused through the 20A fuse. A black wire runs from B terminal on the starter switch to the 20A fuse. Whatever the color is out from the 20A fuse goes to that far "B" post on the light switch. It's all right there, but multimeters with audible continuity are your friend if you can't see where the wires travel.

I believe it should be black too, but if not, that far terminal is fused through the 20A fuse. A black wire runs from B terminal on the starter switch to the 20A fuse. Whatever the color is out from the 20A fuse goes to that far "B" post on the light switch. It's all right there, but multimeters with audible continuity are your friend if you can't see where the wires travel.
Even a probe would help.

I have that diagram. It's showing 4 terminals - white to the front terminal, 2 black and yellow to middle side terminal, blue to the opposite side and no color given for the far end terminal....

I ordered the mechanic/repair manual and hoping there is better views of everything.
Having 2 black wires, on the terminal with the yellow one, may be a mistake looking at the wiring drawing. The wiring diagram shows one black wire to the dash lights, it splits into two wires once away from the switch terminal, on the terminal with the yellow wire (front flood lights). Find all the dash lights and follow the wire(s) back to the switch to confirm if it is one at the switch or two. The starter switch is where power to the light fuse is taken from and the wire between the starter switch and fuse is shown as black. The wire from the fuse to the light switch battery might also be black. As scootergmc said follow the wire from the fuse (and see the color). That wire from the fuse needs to land on the light switch B terminal (end terminal opposite the knob end of the switch).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back