like new 8N

I wonder how you turn the fuel off?

It 'might' sell for that if it didn't have the stickers, no 12V conversion, an original MS carb and no plumbing garnish.

I don't know, that 12 volt conversion would make it a little more valuable to me. I automatically deduct 200 bucks from the price of anything that's 6 volt.

Wonder about those decals. Wonder how long it would take me to make it look like a tractor that earns it's keep.

Rick

I always wonder about the mechanical ability or thought process of someone who would go through all of that time & expense & use a strap to hold the battery down & some half-assed plumbing on the fuel line instead of just buying a sediment bowl & line.

And he thinks it's quite an accomplishment to defeat the neutral safety switch & use an automotive key switch. Brilliant.

And I guess it's a step up or step down (not a combo) Sherman.....as in no visible shifter.

Wonder where the solenoid is?
75 Tips

Bruce, I think I see a big knob for a cable controlled Sherman on the lower right side of the dash panel. Mal

Not mentioning all the standard arguments on the 12V/6V design, I think it looks jacked with when there is an alt hanging off the engine.
My '46 has ran well that way for 68 years, why would I change it now? If i'm gonna change that, I might as well put a muckasucki engine in it too.

Nice job.
Was there fender script on a '48?
All the 1948 8N lettering is not to my taste.
And if I were going to all that work I would probably change the exhaust to SS, it's the only rusty thing on the tractor otherwise.

Wouldn't want your wife (1 is trouble enough LOL) but I do have a Hupp that I had on Ebay (if you saw my post before it got poofed) & the guy that bought it wanted to make payments on it. So I still have it. I'm sure we could come up with a price or something. Answer quick before this one get removed. This is only between us & doesn't require anyone to bash anyone. Keith

Well, not "exactly" like new.
I have to agree with Bruce on the NS switch.
The extra holes in the doglegs behind the lights are nice.
If it were all taken apart, cleaned, painted and put back
together, why are the tie rod boots painted?
Looks to me like the tires were painted and then scrubbed
off too, but there may be some other explanation for that.
Also looks like he may have gone to some length to hide
the rear rims. I'm looking at the right outer rim in the picture
taken from the rear. Does it have patches welded on the inner
circumference or am I seeing things? They're both mounted
inside the center disks which would tend to hide them.
Still, someone did put a lot of work into it.

"Wonder where the solenoid is?"

Maybe tucked under the hood where the original 6V regulator
and tool box used to go? Keeps it out of the weather a little
better and it allowed me to use the 9N starter that was on it.
It too was cobbled together with a key switch.
No screw holes in the starter barrel for the solenoid mounts.
Mine is not "like new". It's a worker.

mvphoto9898.jpg

mvphoto9899.jpg

I wouldn't swear to it, but it looks to me like the Zenith
replacement that is available here on YT and other places.

So, what is the deal with solenoids? My 8N has one but I understand now that earlier models had an internal starter switch and not an external solenoid.
So, did the original starter switch starters get replaced with a solenoid and non starter switch starter version when they wore out?
What's the story here?
Thanks,
Rick

Your 8N should have a solenoid mounted on the starter.
The push button on your transmission cover activates it.
That push button only works when the tractor is in neutral.
My solenoid in that picture is simply re-positioned.
Still works off the same NS switch.

"Most" 9N/2N tractors had a similar push button for NS, but
it was a mechanical linkage to an actual switch. No solenoid.

I say "most" because some 2Ns during war time were built
without any electrics and some early 9Ns had no NS switch.

To the best of my knowledge though, none of the Ns had a key
start. Key on and push button start switch on the dash instead
of the NS switch on the transmission cover on early 9Ns.

(quoted from post at 20:37:13 08/06/14) Your 8N should have a solenoid mounted on the starter.
The push button on your transmission cover activates it.
That push button only works when the tractor is in neutral.
My solenoid in that picture is simply re-positioned.
Still works off the same NS switch.

"Most" 9N/2N tractors had a similar push button for NS, but
it was a mechanical linkage to an actual switch. No solenoid.

I say "most" because some 2Ns during war time were built
without any electrics and some early 9Ns had no NS switch.

To the best of my knowledge though, none of the Ns had a key
start. Key on and push button start switch on the dash instead
of the NS switch on the transmission cover on early 9Ns.

Thanks, Royse.
It sounds like a barn mechanic could do a mix and match or drill holes and do just about anything with wire and switches.
I'm glad my 8 is stock.
Thanks,
Rick

It's interesting how people will complain about the looks of an alternator hanging on the side of one of these tractors. Yet a 9/2N that's been painted high gloss automotive Red, has a cheap 4 bar welded bumper, running boards, script fenders and looped rims gets no negative comments at all.
I guess some expedients, upgrades and aesthetics that depart from original are ok but others are not.

" So, what is the deal with solenoids?"

A solenoid is just an electrical switch for high current. When you press the starter button on your N (or turn the key switch on your car) battery voltage closes the large contacts in the solenoid, Prior to solenoids, you manually closed the contacts w/ your thumb (the 2 & 9N's)or your foot. (vehicles).

The picture is the starter switch on my 29 Ford. Same concept as the 9N; the rod going into the top of the starter has a pedal on the end & is depressed by your foot.

I can't recall my first car w/ a solenoid. 40 & 47 Chevy's didn't have one. I think it was my 56 Chevy. Can't recall if the 49 Ford had one or not. CRS........
IMG_20140102_115002_647_zpsc592e8e8.jpg

75 Tips

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back