Locating old JD parts?

csparks

New User
Hello,
I remembered this forum from some previous searches I've done for neighbors, now I need help. Was unsure where to post, so started here.

I have an older JD 850. Its an early 80s, 25 HP 3 cyl diesel. Tried to post link from TractorData, but it seems to be flagged.

Was having an issue with the steering. After tearing it down with lots of help from neighbor, it appears water had got into the steering column, and has ruined the seals, bushings, and bearings/races.
I do have a repair manual that I've downloaded that has good diagrams, and some info on bushings and seal part numbers, but not bearings.

I'm not a good mechanic and fumble with terminology. This all seems like it could be fixed if we could locate these parts mentioned, but I can't imagine how to locate such small, specific things. I thought it might be easier to locate the entire steering "pedestal" from a salvage.

So, my questions are:
Should I seek help in the JD forum here?
Any tips on locating JD salvage? All States Ag seem to have a big presence online.

Thanks for your patience.

If the gears and such are good, and all you need is bearings and seals, it's probably still all available from DEERE.

John Deere has parts lookup "on-line".

Go to the link below, with serial number at hand.
DEERE parts lookup

From viewing JD parts it appears some steering gear box brgs are still available but check application for your specific tractor. CH11171 bearing $21.58

(quoted from post at 14:04:11 07/08/19)

If the gears and such are good, and all you need is bearings and seals, it's probably still all available from DEERE.

John Deere has parts lookup "on-line".

Go to the link below, with serial number at hand.
DEERE parts lookup

Well, this is second hand, but my neighbor had asked at the local Deere place and was told that on a tractor that old they'd be unlikely to find any parts. Will have to explore that more.

(quoted from post at 14:14:54 07/08/19)
From viewing JD parts it appears some steering gear box brgs are still available but check application for your specific tractor. CH11171 bearing $21.58

Still looking at all this but Bob's post with the Deere Parts, and this are a huge help. Can't believe I hadn't found this already. I'm supposed to be the local internet parts champ.
I think I was discounting this possibility after hearing that the local dealer was pessimistic about it.

I may need to get my neighbor up here to look at the diagram and point out all we need. Still, the fact they have the bearings available is huge, I believe.

Also keeping open to the other suggestions. (Hoye, etc)

This is exactly why I came here first.

Maybe this will save your friend some time & gasoline. Look at key 11

mvphoto39072.png

(quoted from post at 15:06:24 07/08/19)
Maybe this will save your friend some time & gasoline. Look at key 11

mvphoto39072.png

He just lives a half mile away. Already had him up to look over diagram, and have all the parts needed in my "cart" with the John Deere website.

Now I've got another big question. It gives you the option of picking up the parts at the store, or having them shipped. I had a total of 9 parts (getting new shims/gaskets/bolts/grommet too).

All but 2 parts had a price on them, the last 2 said "dealer price". Those two I could manage without.
Now, I don't believe my local dealer will have all these parts. I also believe there is at least a chance that if I have them sent to the dealer they will somehow screw it up. Trying to decide whether to try having them shipped here, or just rely on the dealer thing.

Anyone had experience with ordering thru their site?
The shipping price may be so high I back out anyway.

They are just being pessimistic parts people. I went into my local dealer last week and ordered parts for my 195? 630. No they don?t have everything,
but a lot of stuff is still available.

I order all the time from the dealer through the
website when you submit the order it automatically
sends you an email with the list of parts that you
ordered so you can check it I?ve never had it screw
up and I?ve spent well over 10 grand over the years
ordering off the John Deere parts site . My dealer
will bring the Parts right to my door no charge
whether it?s a 5$ Order or 500$

(quoted from post at 19:17:00 07/08/19) I order all the time from the dealer through the
website when you submit the order it automatically
sends you an email with the list of parts that you
ordered so you can check it I?ve never had it screw
up and I?ve spent well over 10 grand over the years
ordering off the John Deere parts site . My dealer
will bring the Parts right to my door no charge
whether it?s a 5$ Order or 500$

I went ahead and did it this way, and all looks well right now. Our local place has a funny reputation, and I haven't been in there for a few years. (have a larger Kubota I typically run).
The place is under new ownership, so hopefully this will be a good experience.
In the past, they would sometimes ignore or put off the small guys. Really put some people out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back