log splitter

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
going to build a log splitter to run off my 2n, how many gallon hyd tank will i need to keep the oil from getting to hot? using a 24 inch stroke cylinder
 
As i hear it the theory is 1 gal tank for each gmp of the pump. IE...5 gpm pump needs at least a 5 gal tank.
My splitter has an 11gpm pump and a 5 gal tank, too small, the oil gets very hot, this sommer i plan to make a bigger tank.
 
Rule of thumb is to use double your pump output...providing you know what your output is. Say you have 8GPM pump, make your res. 16 gal.
 
According to my hydro. book they say you will be good with same gal. tank as the output of the pump.
hence - a 11 gal. pump should have a 11 gal. tank.
 
According to my hydro. book they say you will be good with same gal. tank as the output of the pump.
hence - a 11 gal. pump should have a 11 gal. tank.
Thats how I built mine and it works good and never had a problem with it heating up.
 
My 22 ton ram splitter had a 5 gallon tank and I never had trouble splitting 5 or 6 cord a day. That is until I loaned it out and the neighbor welded up the hole in the pipe plug cap. Then I couldn't keep it from leaking so I went to the book it said check the cap to see if it was plugged. Sure enough it had a nice neat weld right in the middle. Of course the neighbor denied it all.
Walt
 
I built my spliter that it runs vertical. The base sits on the ground, and you can adjust the highth jof it using the three point hitch. The ram goes up and down with the wedge on the end of the cylinder. Mine runs off the remotes of the tractor. If I have a big block, I put the splitter on the ground, rool the block to the splitter, and tip it over onto the base. You don't have to struggle to lift it up onto the splitter, if it were horizontal, and steady it there I will e-mail picts of it tomorrow.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top