Looking to buy a MF 165...what to look for? good price?

mcompton1973

New User
I am looking at buying a MF 165 with a front end loader (circa 1965).
This will be my first real tractor.

primary usage will be moving round bales, maintaining an arena and keeping road/drive decent.

I dont know a lot about the tractor yet. I can tell there is a valve cover gasket needs replaced. most of the hydraulic hoses have been replaced he said. So when I go look at this, what do I need to be paying attention to? Looking for? This is a using, working acreage tractor nothing pretty. red paint is pretty much faded away...loader is yellow. I know the injector pump was replaced about 9 years ago.

just curious about what to look for and thoughts on fair value on these.

thank you

Main thing I would look at is the planetaries on the rear axle housing, make sure there is no oil leaking on the inside of rear wheels. Also check the oil them as they rarely get the oil changed in them as they are sealed from the rest of the rearend/transmission. They tend to either get run low on oil, and or get water in them, they can be very pricey to fix.
Make sure the brakes work good also, they are inboard dry disk brakes, they are kind of pain to replace, and can be pricey to replace if you have to have a shop do the work.

Hi, the tractor will almost certainly
have power steering fitted to it. These
systems do wear and you lose efficiency.
Turn the steering wheel back and forth in
the free play. A very small amount is
required to activate the assistance. As
soon as you start to turn the wheel you
should feel the assistance to keep on
turning. If there is excess play present
check where it is and particularly check
for movement other than rotational
movement on the vertical shaft in front
of the radiator. You will need an
assistant to turn the wheel back and
forth while you do this. Check also the
point where the cyl rod is attached to
the casting. Any up and down movement
will prevent the assistance working.
DavidP, South Wales

You should also look the front axle pivot, and spindles for wear. With a FEL on it it wears out the front end mainly because people over do it with the loader.

Here's a good checklist general tractor buying checklist, some has been mentioned already.

Things that can take away value:
1. Bad tires- cracks
2. Excessive leaks- oil/hydraulic fluid- does it leak when sitting? Or only leak when running? It will probably have leaks somewhere
3. PTO doesn't engage- test out the pto shifter when running makes sure it works in both modes
4. Bad fluids- 3 fluids to check(make sure all are at correct levels)- hydro oil, motor oil and coolant. Hydraulic oil should not be milky. Coolant should
look be greenish, not brown or black, oil will be black, check for sediment, shavings.
5. Gauges work- Tachometer and temp gauge are essential- you can live without everything else.
6. Alternator/generator- does it work? If the battery constantly needs to be charged then it is broke or wiring is wrong
7. Weak/slow hydraulics- does it lift implements? the 165 is rated to lift 2,850 at the 3 point

Things that add value:
1. Good sheet metal- not too many dings/ rust
2. Lights work
3. All gauges work
4. Seat is in good condition
5. Remote hydraulics- you mentioned a FEL, does it run off remotes? If yes then is there a second remote for additional hookups?

Good luck- Massey's are awesome can't beat the Perkins diesel!

Main advice is to take your time to really check out and not rush. Diesel preferred. Cold start engine should turn easy look for excess smoke at exhaust that may be engine problem. Listen to engine sound, no loud taps. Run until warms up, look underneath for steady oil drips. A few sporadic drops is normal from cotter pin in belly of tranny, but not steady drops. My 165 has a few small oil leaks, no big deal. Ensure gears and the pto engage without grinding. Make sure 3 point goes full up and then down using inner Position Control lever. Both brake pedals work. If has Multipower knob on dash make sure it works and shifts gears when in motion, if not, it's a deal killer. If MP not working tractor will free wheel when decelerating and not have any engine braking effect. Expensive to fix. I've had my 165 many good years. Good luck
mvphoto54183.jpg

ok, 1st. I am a tractor novice...start with that.
so the good and the bad.

$4,500 tractor. It is a diesel. 6880 hours.

good
the loader is running off the remotes...very stout loader (I think he called it a davis industrial loader). Tires are in good shape...one wheel is newer, the other was repaired at the valve stem. new alternator (I think he said from an early 80s truck). water temp and oil pressure gauge seem to work. PTO stays up and looks good, FEL stays up with no leaks. Started cold easy, small puff of smoke, and was good to go.

bad
valve cover leak...RPMs not reading ( can see its missing the cable) amperage meter missing. noticed a very small amount of diesel fuel on the line from what is either a fuel separator or filter.....and the bad (probably) It IS the multi Power...and I am guessing shes no good. He has it with the lever pulled down, and said he just always keeps it down...so I am guessing it is bad? brakes dont seem to really do much at all, although I dont know what is reasonable to expect. I live on pretty flat ground, so I dont know how big of a deal this is...I have heard some people say "mines been like that for years and you just get used to it" and others act like it has a cracked block. lol.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back