Looks like she needs split

Well went to replace the rear rim today and the boy ran his 175 around for awhile. When he put it back in the shop she is leaking out the weep hole
underneath pretty good. I am pretty sure it is hydraulic fluid. Pulled the inspection plate had some oil coming out and the clutch looks very wet

How hard is it to split? Are the splitting stands and tracks on the internet a good tool to buy? What else do we need to replace when we split it? If we
take it apart I want to fix anything we can get too. Hes pretty bummed but I told him its a 60 year old tractor and is going to need work and we need
to just get it going and repaired and it will be good for another 60 years. Oh the tractor is a 175 diesel with multi power
 

You wont know for sure until you get it split and see whats in there, but you might want to consider a new rear main seal, friction plate, pilot bearing and throwout bearing.
 

Yes, I would remove those weights first. You also need to hammer some wooden wedges into each side above the axle so that the front won't pivot on you when you pull it apart.

You might want splitting stands or at least a good floor jack that rolls well and some food cribbing. Others here have some more advice I'm sure.
 
I have my 35 split right now. Rear main seal leaking. Starter and the fuel tank had to come off. I even had to disconnect all fuel lines. Look at where the spilt is and anything that is connected where the split is as to be disconnected, wires and all. I would wedge the front end as to where it won't twist when pulling it apart. I just used 2 floor jacks. One for the transmission housing with a 6 inch block and jack stand behind the floor jack. The front part I just put a piece of plywood down and put the floor jack as close as I can to where the split is and just put enough pressure as to when you unbolt it then can pull it apart. It is not that easy of a job. This is my second split of a tractor. The first was a Ford 3000 when I used to work on a farm. That one was much easier to me.
 
If its leaking that bad the shaft for the multi-power is likely grooved. So you will need to do the triple split. Which is the engine at tranny and the tranny at center housing. I usually take tranny to dealer and let them rework it. Then new clutch and maybe a new auxiliary pump because if you are there no reason not to change it out. If the aux pump were to go out you'd be right back here anyway. Tranny rebuild at the dealer prior to inflation was in the $900 range, clutch is $400 and pump is $300 plus any gaskets you need. I tend to like to split once and try to get all the common wear parts fixed.
 
Any tips on getting the shaft that steers the tractor off? The nut came off super easy but I cant get it to budge. Do I need a fork and drive it apart? Also how do you get the kill switch loose and do you take the temp gauge off at the block? Thats about all we have left besides the cooling lines and 2 fuel lines and we will be ready to attempt the split
 
Well she is apart! Our first tractor is split. Making a parts list definitely need a clutch the bolt heads are about rubbed off from rubbing on a big bearing on the shaft in the transmission. Sorry I dont know what is called hopefully we can get some parts in a week or so and get it back together. We did forget to undo the oil pressure line and I think we kinked it so we will need a new one
 

The one on the transmission side is the throw out bearing. Check to see if the shafts that the bearing carrier rides on feel good and havent wallowed out. I think they are bushed or can be if you need to tighten them up. I think you can use brake line for the oil pressure line if that's easier to source.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top