Lost a good friend!!! One dog died!!

JD Seller

My youngest son came home with this dog about 12-13 years ago. The dog was named Tucker and was a Beagle-Harrier. The dog just looked like a BIG Beagle. The big difference was that he bayed like a hound not the yip like a Beagle and he did not have the bad "dog" smell like a lot of Beagles do. My son discovered girls and then fatherhood so Tucker just stayed with us.

Tucker was one of the friendliest dogs you would ever meet. He would bark/bay but then come over for a good petting. HE was very active until the last few years. As near as we can tell he was 16-17 years old. He was a cuddle butt. IF you set or laid down where he could get to you he would cuddle right up against you and would not leave until you made him. I slept with his head on my left hip for the last ten years or so. It is going to be different tonight sleeping without him there.

Just this spring he was actually getting around really good. We had him on some meds for hip pain and they seemed to really make him feel better. HE would have a good old chase around the outside of the house with the younger dogs just about everyday. Then it was nap time on the old couch in the family room until bedtime. About a week ago one evening he started to wheeze for air. We took him to the Vet and found out he had congestive heart failure an his lungs had fluid in them. The VET gave us some meds to help the fluid issue but he went down hill. The last 3-4 nights I took him on a ride in the pickup to town or the farm as he loved to ride. I had to lift him into the truck and carry him to the house. HE could walk but not jump any.

He passed away on HIS couch this evening in my arms. I held him as he took his last breathe. I closed his eyes for his final "nap". It never gets any easier to lose a loved pet. I would be hard pressed to count the number of dogs I have had over the years. Tucker was a "GOOD" one and a great companion!!!!

The little Shih Tzu female dog is lot without him around. She keeps going to the door wanting out to look for him.

Here is a picture of him. I always thought it looked like he was laughing in this picture.
<image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto21959.jpg"/

In this picture it looks like they are waiting for me to come home. My wife took this right as I was coming in the driveway.

/>

<image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto21961.jpg"/>

Sorry to hear this. Pets are family members that love us regardless of who or what we are. Almost as bad as losing a loved one. When our Jack Russell died a few years ago, my wife cried for 3 days and said no more dogs, she couldn't stand the pain of losing another one. I said that's too bad, we are getting another one. We got a rescue Jack Russell and she was better in a day or two. This one is about 11 years old, not looking forward to what will happen when she goes. Sorry for your loss, I'd recommend getting another one. Chris

sorry to hear it,we have e beagle who is getting old,,,my wife is close to her pets just like you are,,I will get her to read your post and reply

As I was reading your post my eyes were full of tears. I am so sorry. Pets are the most loving animals put on this earth. I am happy for the many years of friendship and the bond you had. They have such a special place in our hearts. You will be in my thoughts.

Sorry for your loss, I know how bad it hurts. People say there just dogs or a animal but they've never had the chance to know the love of a good pet. He's across the rainbow bridge waiting for you and will be sitting there with his tail wagging when you arrive.

Sorry for your loss I went through the same thing a few weeks ago with a black lab I had since I was 3 I'm 16 now what made it worse was I never remember him not being around. I still come home and expect to see him

The real problem/issue is good pets just don't live long enough
& we take for granted what they really mean to us, until they are
gone. Sorry about your empty spot in your heart....

(quoted from post at 23:01:36 06/01/15) My youngest son came home with this dog about 12-13 years ago. The dog was named Tucker and was a Beagle-Harrier. The dog just looked like a BIG Beagle. The big difference was that he bayed like a hound not the yip like a Beagle and he did not have the bad "dog" smell like a lot of Beagles do. My son discovered girls and then fatherhood so Tucker just stayed with us.

Tucker was one of the friendliest dogs you would ever meet. He would bark/bay but then come over for a good petting. HE was very active until the last few years. As near as we can tell he was 16-17 years old. He was a cuddle butt. IF you set or laid down where he could get to you he would cuddle right up against you and would not leave until you made him. I slept with his head on my left hip for the last ten years or so. It is going to be different tonight sleeping without him there.

Just this spring he was actually getting around really good. We had him on some meds for hip pain and they seemed to really make him feel better. HE would have a good old chase around the outside of the house with the younger dogs just about everyday. Then it was nap time on the old couch in the family room until bedtime. About a week ago one evening he started to wheeze for air. We took him to the Vet and found out he had congestive heart failure an his lungs had fluid in them. The VET gave us some meds to help the fluid issue but he went down hill. The last 3-4 nights I took him on a ride in the pickup to town or the farm as he loved to ride. I had to lift him into the truck and carry him to the house. HE could walk but not jump any.

He passed away on HIS couch this evening in my arms. I held him as he took his last breathe. I closed his eyes for his final "nap". It never gets any easier to lose a loved pet. I would be hard pressed to count the number of dogs I have had over the years. Tucker was a "GOOD" one and a great companion!!!!

The little Shih Tzu female dog is lot without him around. She keeps going to the door wanting out to look for him.

Here is a picture of him. I always thought it looked like he was laughing in this picture.
&lt;image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto21959.jpg"/

In this picture it looks like they are waiting for me to come home. My wife took this right as I was coming in the driveway.

/&gt;

&lt;image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto21961.jpg"/&gt;

Condolences. The little fur balls really get into your heart.

We had to put down one of the cats this past Monday due to extreme illness. She was not that old and it hurt us pretty bad. She was very intelligent and very human-like in a lot of ways. It is going to take a few days to get over her loss.

I don't know you, but I respect you. Your story, the words you chose, tell me you gave that dog a wonderful life. It's hard to measure up to the standard our dogs give us. To them, we are their world. I'd say you did your part and your dog knew it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. :( I lost my "granddog" Jake 2 weeks ago. 11 yr old Weimaraner. One of the best buddies I've ever had. Daughter was out of town, had a cousin watching him and Jake's "brother", a GSP. He was fine on Saturday, trotting around the backyard. Middle of the night, he couldn't stand or breathe. Took him to the vet hospital and they kept him alive till my daughter could get there. Lungs full of cancer. His "brother" Kaiser is moping around the house without him. Kaiser was there when they gave the shot and yelped when Jake died. He knew. We DO get attached to those four legged critters.

As I read this, our Black Lab, Woodie, is sitting on my lap.. His favorite place unless momma is lying on the couch, then he' s lying on her. I feel your pain and you have my sympathy. I know how dear our dogs are to our life! True Son

I am on my third "rescue" beagle. She just observed her 14th birthday by taking terribly sick. It was a race to see if she would make it to the vet before she passed away. Turned out to be congestive heart failure, and she is now doing somewhat better on a cornucopia of medications. Vet bills in the thousands, but she is able to stay comfortably with me for a few more months according to the vet.
I lost my last companion a few months before I got this one, and it sure was a lonely few months. I know just how you feel.
And, to those who say "it's just a dog," I guess they never had a pet. A house is not a home without a dog or a companion animal.

Ronnie,
I've had more than my fair share of good dogs. It's always devastating when one of them leaves you. I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope you find solace in all the memories you have of Tucker.
Pete

Sorry to hear of your loss. What I find really sad, is the way you said your other dog keeps looking for his friend. They dont understand. When our first one died, I swear our second Mastiff would go out where we buried her and just roam around the area.

Always a time to remember the best of their actions from playful first encounters to peaceful old age. Jim

I've always said, I wish I was as good a person, as my dog thinks I am.
They are truly a blessings and leave a empty spot in our hearts when they pass on. Be thankful for the memories and the good life you gave them.
Thanks for sharing your loss with us.

JD, Sorry to hear of your loss. Most of us here know the sorrow your speaking of. Bless your heart for sharing .
Regards
LOU

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back