LP tank pressure

DON TX

Well-known Member
I'm checking my lp gas tank for leaks before I waist more hi $ propane. How much pressure would it experience? I've got no leakage at 30 psi. Should I try higher?
DON TX
 
30psi is about right for an 8 degree F day, but on a nice Texas 110 day, you are looking at 200PSI.
 
(quoted from post at 00:06:09 05/12/10) Wow! My compressor is set at 160. Should I try?
DON TX
I don't know why not, especially if it is a known good tank that recently had propane in it. If worried about integrity of an old out of service tank, then set it around the corner of building from your body.
 
When I was using gas bottles on an agitator it was stipulated they be filled to 80 percent, no doubt for the expansion.
 
pop off valve should pop at 200lbs and above??? and let the pressure back down to a safe limit for that tank. lp will run 100 to 200 lbs if full pending on temperature. Remember that it has enough pressure to turn the gas into liquid and store it. propane boils at about minus 43 degrees into gas. A bad/weak pop off valve can cause your problems in hot weather. Keeping the tank in shade and painted silver or white, can help keep the pressure down. If the bottle is goudged, cracked or extreamely rusty, you might want to reconsider as the propane dealers will no longer fill beat-up bottles with bad paint, scratches or visable damage. High pressure propane hoses have to rated 350 lbs for filling bottle and for use to the regulator. Typically on the user side, after the requlator, the pressure can be as low as 6 ounces pending on use and volume needed.
 
Thanks for all the info. The level gauge was leaking and I replaced the gasket and it still leaked. I replaced it again with a heavy o-ring type seal. I lost @ 12# during that attempt at $1.90 a #. I can fill from my 1k tank. Tank has surface rust only and is good condition. I'll pump it up as much as I can and if no leaks, I'll be happy. I have a dryer on my air line to minimize water. I plan on keeping it covered unless running it. I'm aware of the 80% rule. Thanks again.
DON TX
 
Well, I took her up to 115# and no leaks. Let her set and see if it'll last. Fraid to take it much higher. I've got a short piece of fuel line to connect the valve stem in the line before the filter. Not sure how much it'll take. Don't want it shooting off thru the radiator. (%^).
DON TX
 
(quoted from post at 21:50:29 05/12/10) Well, I took her up to 115# and no leaks. Let her set and see if it'll last. Fraid to take it much higher. I've got a short piece of fuel line to connect the valve stem in the line before the filter. Not sure how much it'll take. Don't want it shooting off thru the radiator. (%^).
DON TX
on't forget, the pressure will drop as the temperature drops, so don't call a leak too early.
 
Not sure what size this tank is... but the normal test method on a tank would be a hydro test. Fill it with water, then pressurize it with air. Probably at least 200% of nominal.
If this is a tank that has gas in it now I'd just use soapy water. No need to pressurize...
I think you'd find that nominal gas pressure on a smaller tank is probably in the 150 psi range depending on temperature.

Rod
 
True. I've checked with soapy water for 2 days and still no leaks. Pressure has varied slightly. So far, so good.
DON TX
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top