lube and gasket question

souNdguy

2 questions.

1st, someone please detail exactly where my drains and fill and check points are on this machine. i'm a ford guy.. this is probably the first C my but has been on.

I found the crankcase oil fill, and figured out the 2 lil check knobs, and assume I'll find a drain on the pan..

in the op platform front left I see an inverted head plug

on the back right side of the housing the pto shaft sticks out and to the side of where a belt pulley would be I see a plug.. perhaps a level check plug.

those are the only one's I've id'd so far.. so please fill in my gaps and correct my assumptions.

also, is the trans and diffy common sump?

oh.. I think I found the fill ont he hyds unit.. no level or drain.

front pedistal.. need the same info.

I see a large cap on the front end.. is this a sector cover? need drain and fill.

pictures will help :) I'm new at this red stuff ( ok.. I have a cub.. but that don't count.. she's plenty different than this one.. :) )

2nd question. I know I need to leave the timing cover loose when reinstalling a crank pulley so the cover can pilot on the pulley seal surface, then take the cover down. I'm not at this point yet, still waiting for parts and gaskets and seals.. but want to get my head straight.

I've been told that the gasket alone will likely let her leak. I know on olf fords.. we do alot of stuff with dry gaskets and no gasket sealer / cement or rtv.

however I've had at least 3 people email me and tell me to use non hardening permatex #2 or similar, apply to the cover, stick the gasket to the cover, then apply more #2 permatex to the front of the block.. grease the seal lip.. yada yada.. pilot it on the crank, then take the cover down witht e gasket sandwiched between the smear of permatex on the cover and the block. ot a 'bead' but a thin smear around.

this sound correct? or?

reason I ask is I don't want to fix a seal leak and cause a gasket leak.. :)

thanks

soundguy

The engine oil you fill it up to the point you get oil out the highest pet-cock low oil when you get nothing out of the lower one. As for the rear end/trans yep same sump hyds no sure since the A or B do not have hyds. As for the gaskets I reused old gaskets on the BA I built just to see if it could be done and used silicone gasket maker in some places and it has worked just fine. I even reused a head gasket by using alabianum (sp) paint

Trans and diff have the same reservoir, the plug on top is the fill plug. The PTO/belt pulley get their oil from the differential. Trans and diff hold 4.75 gallons -- add one more quart thru the PTO fill, assuming it is to make sure it has some oil at first startup. Plug at bottom is the drain, PTO has no official fill level. I use copper coat, nothing else on the gaskets. That includes the head gasket. You may not need it, but it is a good idea on the front cover because of the difficulty in resealing it as you have found. I see no advantage to permatex on a flat surface. The front cover will not leak unless it is bent. As the others say, get at least an operators manual. As a person who has worked on Fords, you already know if you need other manuals, but I always have service and parts manuals. You will get all kinds of answers on gaskets on this forum. What I say has worked for me.

Don't wory, no question about it.. I'm a 'manuals' kind of guy.

I tell people they should get them, and I get them myself. I have manuals to tractors I'll probably never own.

just got my c owners, parts and service manauls in yesterday.

thanks

cool.. so basically crankcase, trans/diffy+a lil in the pto, and then the hyds are self contained.. and I already got to that part int he manual with e drain , fill, screen.. etc.

soudnguy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back