M- Freeing a stuck motor

Any tips on freeing up a motor? Is it best to remove the rod caps then work individual pistons and the crank seperately? What is the torque for the caps so I can put them back? I put some pb blaster in the spark plug holes yesterday and just pulled the oil pan (probably a gallon of water in the oil). Inside doesn't actually look that bad though just a lot of oil crud.

If you remove the spark plugs then you can see the walls and if they are rusted you need to tear the engine down you found water in the pan thats bad news probably need a new engine kit and crank ground

The first thing to do with one like that is to check and make sure it does not have any water etc in the cylinders. NEVER put in any thing till you know that for sure. If they are dry then fill them up as full as you can with ATF put the plugs back in and also pour as much ATF down the exhaust as you can and let it sit a week or so.

If the cylinder do/did have water in them you might as well pull the head off and take it down to the bare block

Yeah, you're going to find about 100 different magic potions, but none of them are guaranteed to work. They mostly only work on lightly rusted engines.

With that much water I agree with gene. At the very least you need to pull the head and see what's going on up there. If you've pulled the pan, the head is really not that much more difficult.

I was afraid I was going to have to pull the head but I think y'all are right. Add a head gasket to my tab =) Probably needs a valve job anyways

If you find rust pits in the cylinder wall bigger than a pencil lead, it will need sleeves and pistons to make it right or reasonably usable. If water was standing on top of the piston, it is very possible that the sleeve is cracked and possible the actual cylinder block outside of it. Inspect well and/or get good pictures to us. If you decide to rebuild, a full set of manuals (and know how) are necessary. Jim

I'll post some pictures whenever I crack it open but since the tractor is outside it will have to wait till I have the replacement valve kit at least...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back