M steering gear? add grease or 90 oil?

Bought straight M 1948 model, couple years ago. The manual calls for a pint or 90 oil in steering gear housing. I took off cover and it was full of grease. Grease was mostly black colored, I'm guessing due to age and dirt, as I cleaned out grease I found some cleaner, sort of clear grease. So what is the correct stuff to fill that housing? Grease or 90 oil thanks Guys.

PS I've been using 10W30 engine oil when I change oil, it this the best oil viscosity for the old girl? I use M for disking and loader work. tractor does not just sit around looking pretty!!

90w gear oil is the correct lube. The reason for the grease is that the seals are probably leaking.

To replace the seals the frt.{vertical}and rear{horizonal} shafts have to be removed.

90 weight is what the manual calls for. Some people would put grease in there when the shaft seal was bad and they didn't want to fix it. Other people use a light "corn head" grease to work with a worn seal.

As far as engine oil, the manual calls for SAE 30.

the proper thing to use is 80-90 gear oil. there is also a steering box grease in tubes that is ok to use, as its thin and goes to the wear spots where an ordinary grease will just cake up, because its too thick.
most times when oil is used nowadays it leaks out the sector shaft seal, bushing and seals are worn from use.

Thanks for all the good & fast replies from all you guys. Yesterdays Tractor people are the BEST!!
Next question: replacing seals. I am not a mechanic but have mechanical ability. Is it worth replacing seals or continue using light grease? How do you replace the steering box seals? How hard of a job is it? Where can I get seals? Thanks

ds I would suggest jacking up the front of the tractor so wheels are off the ground then with the steering box cover removed use a small bar to move the bolster shaft side to side. This will tell you how much the bushing and shaft is worn. If it has never been fixed it likely has lots of wear in which case a new seal will not keep 90 wt oil from leaking, hense the good suggestion to use corn head grease. To change the bushing and seal you need to remove the bolster shaft and drive seal down and out, bushing next and they arn't hard to get out. The hardest part of this job is to install the new seal I made myself a tool on the lathe that slides inside the bushing with a shoulder on it to push seal into position, must be done from the bottom. HTH Mark

Thanks for the great detailed explanation. For now I will do corn grease route. The fix sounds like a winter project. I cleaned out most of grease that was black looking. Still some grease left in housing. When I put new grease in housing, do I fill housing up with grease, how much do I put in? Or do I push grease around the steering worm gear as that's where it's needed? Looks like I need a new cover gasket, the old one is shot and that would let in dirt?

The seals are leaking because the two bushings are worn. You can get everything that is needed at a C/IH dealer. They will be over $400.

OK thanks FastFarmal, where do I find corn head grease? Home of Economy did not have it. Minot, ND, where I live also has Tractor supply & Mac's hardware

I pulled up Y T forum from June of 2012 "old" was asking where to find corn head grease. So I should be able to find some locally. How much corn head grease do I put in M farmall steering housing? Do I fill up the housing, cover the steering worm gear?

Go to Deere dealer and corn head grease can be found in tubes. I used in New Holland rake gear box that would leak 90 weight like a sieve. And of course in our Deere corn head.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back