M6060 Kubota

Keith Molden

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. The M6060 was gonna go back to the shop because it was making oil after the injector work that was done on it. I'll be 72 on October the 3rd and have worked on cars trucks, tanks all my adult life, even owned and operated a garage and wrecker service for a number of years. Saying that, I've always knew from an early age how to check the oil (WRONG). After reading the book when all else failed, I found that on this Kubota you either check it cold or wait 5 minutes or longer after it's been running to check it. That's why it showed low in the first place just after I shut it off so I added oil, then it showed overfull when I checked it in the morning before startup. Used it all day yesterday after draining the oil and refilling it as per the directions and lo and behold there was no making oil. I've always tried to think I had a little intelligence and now I think that a little is all I have anymore. Lesson learned READ THE BOOK DUMMY. These new computerized tractors are not like the 50 and 60 year old ones I'm used to. Now all I have to do is try to remember what I have read. Keith

One of the important lessons my mom's dad told me was to learn all the time. He was doing it all the time. Jim

So has it been running ok ?
Many different ways to check fluid levels depending on what it is. No 2 seem to be the same anymore.

Dad taught me to always check the fluids on a cold engine! Back in the day, to check the coolant level you removed the cap. That seems to be the biggest reason, but I still check them Saturday mornings before start up!

Glad you found that out before sending back to the shop,, I guess I was taught very early how to always check oil before ever starting any machine,, coolant level and transmission levels also,, some CAT equipment I ran through the years had both on the stick, check when idling and oil warm or engine off oil cold marks but i do agree 100%with you on reading the ops front to back,, I was not allowed to operator equipment at the dealership until I had read the ops cover to cover,, it was a good thing also as i always knew a answer for a customer when they came asking,, that all started in 1968 or so for me,, like said I always say if you are not making a mistake at times you are not learning, also Always wipe off the stick and recheck many will hold oil in the tube and give a false reading
cnt

Keith, you are an above average good and humble man, and I am sure that you can still teach much to many.

Your not alone when it comes to having senior moments. New,old,big,or small I always check the oil on a cold engine after it has been setting on a a level spot. Glad it just turned out to be something small and hopefully you have that tractor straightened out.

Don't blame yourself .If your dealership had a service manager worth a sh!t they would have caught it and saved you a lot of time. We got the same problem around here. Be it NH, Kubota, or Derre they are all the same. Management used to be job trained. Now it's by trial and error.

I'm going back to the days when they checked your oil level when you stopped to get gas. The favorite trick was to open the hood and check the oil level real quick and come up to your window and show you the dipstick that showed about one quart low. That way they'd get to sell a quart of oil along with the gas purchase.

In the shop we used to always joke about the "WINGNUT" in the seat often being the biggest variable in tractor repairs. As I have gotten older I am now the "WINGNUT". LOL

I have two Onan engines on garden tractors, a P218 and a P220 and you can let them set for a month or longer and the dipstick will show way over full. When I want to check the oil I loosen the dipstick and leave a rag over it so I don't forget, then check the next day. The dipstick tubes are about an inch in diameter and a foot long and the oil hangs in them until you loosen the stick.

(quoted from post at 07:16:21 09/08/19) I'm going back to the days when they checked your oil level when you stopped to get gas. The favorite trick was to open the hood and check the oil level real quick and come up to your window and show you the dipstick that showed about one quart low. That way they'd get to sell a quart of oil along with the gas purchase.

Bill(Wis) I doubt that it was a "favorite" trick. In fact I bet that 98 % of garage operators took pride in what they did and would never have allowed that to be done.

I've put 10 hours on it moving hay yesterday and the oil level is right where it should be. The dealer may have checked the oil and found it to be OK before he started it is why no oil was added. Anyway it's running fine now and actually seems to have more power on the hills than it has ever had so time will tell if the injectors have been the problem all along. Thanks to all who have posted. Keith

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back