Machine shop finally came through

NCWayne

For any that remember my posts awhile back about getting jerked around by the machine shop working on the block, etc, for a customers D6 dozer, well that ordeal is finally over. Actually the machine shop part of it has been over for a few weeks now. Once I got everything back it then took me a couple of weeks to get everything back together and ready to set back in the machine. The basic engine wasn't that bad and if that was all there was to it it wouldn't take that long to do. But when you throw in the time spent machining the tool to install the rear main seal, machining the tools to rebuild the fuel transfer pump (time making tools not charged to the customer by the way) and ultimately getting the engine 'dressed out' with the oil coolers, pumps, lines, torque converter, hydraulic tank and control station, etc, etc., it turns a simple engine rebuild into a bit more of a major undertaking. All together the manual says the 'assembly' weighs in around 3500 lbs.

Anyway, got it all complete last Sunday and after putting out a few 'home fires', headed out of town on Tuesday to put it back in. I had everything setting between the frame rails and bolted down, the lines hooked back up, etc all by the end of the day on Tuesday. Wed morning I started putting together everything the customer had taken off before I got in on the project. This included the fan, blade cylinders and their cross bar, the hardnose, belly pans, etc, etc. By the end of that day we fired it up for the first time. This is when we discover that it won't shut down. I hadn't spent any time on the fuel pump, at the customers request, so I was expecting the worse. They had had the pump off and spent several grand at the dealer right before I got called in on the deal, and had been old the pump was OK. Since it was almost dark by that time I checked the problem the next morning and found the pump was indeed fine and the problem actually lay in the throttle linkage's friction mechanism. One of the coil springs inside had broken one coil and it has the mechanism jammed. A little cleaning, oiling, and resealing, and everything worked like a champ.

Other than one OH $hit moment when the engine turned over under power for the first time, clunked, and seemed to lock up, things went pretty good. Thankfully the engine didn't lock up. What had happened was I had to make a guess at the length of the bolts in the aftermarket fan and chose ones just a bit too long. They protruded past the back of the fan hub, where they were hidden, and were hitting a bolt head on the water pump. Six shorter bolts, replacing one pinched O-ring on the thimble between the fuel filter housing and the pump housing, and the 'ole girl was ready to push dirt.

Since the hood coveres the hydraulic lines going to the cylinders and I had told the customer that one of them was already at the 'may pop' stage, it was left off for them to put on later. Thankfully that was a good idea because within ten minutes of pushing the line let go with a massive spray of oil.

While I removed some broke bolts from a chipper and did a few other odd jobs the customer went to CAT and got a new line made up for me to put on. By 6 that afternoon the 'old girl was setting back by the building, awaiting a good bath to remove all the oil from the blown line, and I was on my way back home.

What should have been about a month and a half to a two month project wound up taking one day short of 4 months because of the machine shop. As satisfying as it was to hear the engine fire off and see the machine out there pushing dirt for the first time it's still almost a 'downer' when a project like that is finally done.

OH well, tomorrow is another day and I've already got another engine to rebuild, an excavator to repair, a bucket truck to repair, a Bobcat needing some work, a 6-71 blower to rebuild, some fab work to do for another customer........and hopefully something else to put on the to do list by the time I get done with all of this stuff.

I would consider 4 months, not good, not lucky, but could have been worse. Your to do list looks like mine, but I am going to do everything possible to avoid machinists from now on. I bet you are too! Glad to hear all turned out well.

NC Wayne, is that a 3306 or something? I work on Cat marine engines down here in Savannah and we do our own fuel pumps/sytems pretty often, but I am not familiar with heavy equipment. Just curious!

NCWayne,

The main things omitted were . . .

Was the customer happy in the end and understood the problems. (tongues wag when not satisfied)

Was your time paid and costs recuperated satisfactory to you for 4 months on and off work.

The engine is a turbo charged D333 which was, more or less, a precurser to the 3306. It's still one of the CAT's that you look at and can tell that it has that 'old' look to it. You can see the castings around the individual bores, it has an inspection plate down the left side, and to top it all off it also has CATERPILLAR cast into the block in big letters.

Beyond that, if I remember the specs right, the bore is a 1/4 inch smaller but the stroke is the same as the 3306. The typical 6C was powered by a D315 with about 120 HP but the 333, from what I have been able to find had somewhere between 125 and 150 HP. I know the customer said they had rented a newer D6 a month or so back to do a project and he said that regardless of 'rated" HP, this machine would push circles around the new one.
D6C

In answer to your question, yes, the customer was completely satisfied with my work. Basically I accomplished what another independent and a dealership guy neither one had been able to do by getting the engine running and the machine as a whole back into operation. Thankfully they were understanding of the problems with the machine shop, this more so when I had the block back in my hands, things were actually getting done, and I had given them a pretty solid completion date, than when we were still getting jerked around on a completion date.

As far as my time and costs all I can say is that I made a pretty good lick off of this job even after cutting the guy a break on my typical expenses for staying out of town and knocking off a bit here and there for travel time, etc as a way of saying Thanks for being understanding of the problems we had. As it stands as soon as they recoup a bit of the money spend for this project they have a grader that needs transmission work that they plan to call me back to take care of too.

Wish I could avoid problems like this, and problems like this are more the rarity than the rule. Regardless the payday for me pulling, rebuilding, and reinstalling an engine, is especially good. In other words as much as it pains me to put up with the BS on occasion, as much as I hate putting up with the BS at any time, sometimes the paycheck makes it almost bareable.....

Good to hear that ordeal is finally over. Thank goodness it don't happen often, right?
Just out out of curiosity, what do you do in your spare time? LOL

Short answer I work on the same kinds of things I "work" on for a living....Hey, I really enjoy what I do, what can I say....LOL

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back