Magneto Points

Wico X magneto on a '44 A.
Got these new points from Deerely Departed.
What is the material that forms the contacts?
It is "non-metallic" colored.
Tom
<a href="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/Tom_084/?action=view&current=Points2.jpg" target="_blank">
Points2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
<a href="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/Tom_084/?action=view&current=Points1.jpg" target="_blank">
Points1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
 
I don"t know what the material is, but I bought a set from NAPA with something on them, I thought it was a peel off coating. I don"t think so now. I returned them as defective and got another set with the familiar shiny silver surface.

Rave
 
What difference does it make? I work on mags all the time. sometimes the points get a little oxidation on them. Just run a dollar bill through them. Set the gap at .015. Do you have spark when bench testing the mag? Put the flange in the vise to hold the mag upright with the rotor and cap installed, put a spark plug wire in a hole in the cap and hold about 1/4" from a cap mounting screw, turn the mag ccw with a visegrip, it should jump a spark to the screw.
 
Thanks, Maark.
I am just curious as to what the material is. It certainly doesn't look like metal. The mag has been on the tractor all along. It was working fine, until I decided to renew the points, just as a point of maintenance, since I just got the tractor about 2 months ago.
I installed new plugs and new plug wires.
So...somewhere along the line, I do not have a working system.
A friend helped me check for spark...if he did his part correctly, while I turned the flywheel, there was NO spark.
The points were set at 0.015 inch and they DO close when the rotor is off of the cam.
What do you think?
Tom
 
Hard to get good quailty points anymore. They seem corroded up from new. You usually have to run some clean paper through them under tension so they make contact. Bad ones may even need some fine 600 ? grit paper ran through them, but that's not to be good on new parts , but you can't buy good ones much have to do what we have to do to run this junk.
 
I seen the spring arm on the points make contact with the points base and kill the spark. I've noticed that the tune-up kits I've got from your source are bagged by themselves. I suppose they buy in bulk and who knows how long they have set, or probably came from overseas. As Mike says, you may need to polish with some 600 for the oxidation.Mag looks kinda of rusty. How are the magnets and main Rotor? are they rusty and dirty? You may need to take the mag apart and clean and polish things up. email if you need. I'll help you out.
 
Oxidation caused by moisture in packaging.Card board box or bubble pack with card board back panel.Clean all point surfaces with lacquer thinner BEFORE installing.I got a new H muffler from DP that would not fit the original JD exhaust pipe.Had a new pipe made.Muffler inlet was 1/32 undersize.Since muffler has a forged mounting base you would need a large hone or reamer to open the hole.Wont buy any more parts from DP.Tip to anyone replacing an H muffler.Check the pipe to muffler fit on the bench.Save much sweat in the hot sun by checking first.A 100 buck muffler should fit right.Why in h do you think non metal points would work?????
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top