Magneto question

Rapidcolt

New User
I have a 1936 Model A and I currently don't have a magneto. Can one tell by looking (without having a magneto on hand) whether the magneto I need is a short or long lug? I looked inside the case where the mag fits in, and I saw the number "33" stamped on the piece that receives the magneto, The "33" was inside a keystone shape. Thanks for any help.

According to a magneto replacement chart in Field Service Bulletin 159-S, model "A" tractors from S/N 424025 to 487999 used long lugs. All other "A" tractors used short lugs.

Attachments

• lug length.png
    lug length.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the info--now if I can find a magneto in the SE South Dakota, NW Iowa, SW Minnesota area, I can continue my project.

Or you could just slip a Delco distributer on there and don't tell anyone .
I've thought about this myself but a guy would have to come up with a 35 deg advance distributor. And a deep lug drive cog for the distributor??? Not sure how feasible it is???

I've thought about this myself but a guy would have to come up with a 35 deg advance distributor. And a deep lug drive cog for the distributor??? Not sure how feasible it is???
You wouldn't really need a 35 degree unless you're running kerosene or diesel. I'm pretty sure there are long lug distributors but I've never actually looked

Ok, I have my magneto --and it needs work. After I pulled the coil out, the inside of the magneto case has a rusty sort of glaze all around everything. A good cleaning solution would be?? Acetone? Something else? Thanks.

You will need to get it apart and start the cleaning process. I use mineral spirits and electric contact cleaner.

Pretty rare on a 1936 A
Hand start battery ignition? You wouldn’t be able to turn it over fast enough. You need that spring trip that mags have. I have never understood why people modify things. 6volt systems work just fine if done right and mags are wonderful ignition systems. I see more questions and problems about modifications with 12v conversions and mags to distributors than anything.

Hand start battery ignition? You wouldn’t be able to turn it over fast enough. You need that spring trip that mags have. I have never understood why people modify things. 6volt systems work just fine if done right and mags are wonderful ignition systems. I see more questions and problems about modifications with 12v conversions and mags to distributors than anything.
I wonder if there was a lighting option back then ?

Looked at the parts book . Not sure when the A had lighting . The AR and AO were early
according to the parts book . 1939 was the first year for a generator on an A . Thought it was years sooner .

Attachments

• IMG_6149.jpeg
    IMG_6149.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6150.png
    IMG_6150.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 7
Looked at the parts book . Not sure when the A had lighting . The AR and AO were early

according to the parts book . 1939 was the first year for a generator on an A . Thought it was years sooner .
I’m assuming it would be the similar to the b as the g at home looks generally similar. I think it would take a different fan shaft to get that pulley? I’ve never measured the 2 at the farm to see but I think everything else is the same for the life of me I can’t remember if there’s that generator cross over bracket down below either that would be the other thing. This is a question I’ve actually had. lights on my mower might be nice from time to time especially living on the highway if I wanted to scoot to the farm and it got late.

I've hand cranked battery ignition tractors plenty. If the battery is too low to crank the engine but enough to power the spark. There's no need for the impulse to make a strong spark on a distributor. The battery provides plenty of hot spark at a low RPM. The magneto needs the boost of RPM from a spring loaded impulse because the magnet needs faster motion for a stronger spark

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back