main cap shims

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I am going to replace rear rope seal in my wd45. This engine was rebuilt years ago inframe, sleeves, pistions. and rod bearings only. Uncle owned tractor and said engine was still in pretty good shape at overhaul. I think mains still have shims. When I replace seal can I take shims out, if everythings looks ok and plastic gauge specs out ok.
 
Those shims are there for a reason. I'd put them back in just the way they were. I just rebuilt a WD45 and reused the shims, and checked with plasti-gage. It measured just right with the shims in place. If yours was properly measured for crankshaft clearance originally then that's why they are there.
 
thanks for the reply,
I am not rebuilding the engine or replaing mains, unless somthings not right when I pull pan to replace rear seal. I am just asking when I pull rear cap to replace seal if plastic gauge gauge shows to much clearance and it gauges out ok without shims can I remove shims using same bearings. I thought thats what they were for?
 
That is why they used shims so you could remove one or two shim layers to keep the clearance close to correct without replacing the bearings.

The original shims are in .002 layers which peel off.

The one thing to check when removing layers of the shim is that if the crank is out of round it will be the smallest at top dead center. You will need to make sure it does not get tight when the piston is half way down. You can plastigage at that point and if you have .001 and not feel tight you will be fine. If you then have .003 at top dead center you will be fine also. If it ends up .0035 it will last quite a while.
 
I was addressing the rod bearings as far as out of round. My book calls for the clearance for mains for the WC WD na WF to be .0011 to .0037 on the front main and .0015 to .0037 on the center and rear mains

Rod bearings on those tractors in my book calls for .001 to .003.
 
Picture002-vi.jpg


The WC WD and WF has 2 in the first square and 3 in the second box. The notes are at the bottom left.

Picture001-vi.jpg
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top