Making Offers questions opinion

JOCCO

In a lot of settings I make an offer on something. Flea market, private sale or even a listed item or online item. Now I do not try to be unreasonable like $1 for a $50 item. But sometimes someone gets hot (very hot) I look at it as something I will buy for my price if not oh well. And I do not try to negotiate price in like a grocery store etc. SOOOOO what is your rules for making offers????

If they are 50% over my high value bid I walk away W/O speaking. If their price is 20% over I will offer my high bid. They take it or leave it. If between the two, I may indicate that their price is in need of an explanation, and if I like the answer (complete engine rebuild with reciepts) I might go for it. If not I walk W/O argument. Jim

No rules, make a fair offer, seller gets offended, have a nice day, simple as that.

Sellers have to realize there are always going to be people who are going to see if they will respond to a lowball offer, sure its frustrating, potentially offensive, but again no need for a fuss, same thing applies.... have a nice day!

It all depends on how badly i would want something.

If they state no price but want an offer i start with one a little below what it would be worth to me and go from there.
If they get upset about the low offer then i counter with..then you should've stated a price,..i can't smell what you want out of it!

This day and age I just pay what someone asks for small items at flea markets etc. I know they are not getting rich and a few bucks is not going to make or break me. On large items I will make an offer if the asking price is within reason, many times machinery being offered for sale by heirs without any knowledge of equipment is priced way out of sight, they only get mad if you make a realistic offer. Buying country cattle I always try to make some kind of deal but I don't try to steal them, everybody needs to make a little to stay in the game and be there to do business with in the future.

Old saying: "never ask, never get".

So, I'll usually offer based upon how bad I want it and where I want to end up. If someone wants $50 and I'm ok with $40, I'll offer $ 30 and go from there. I never get offended if someone makes a low offer, unless they try and waste my time when I say "no". :lol:

Daughter was looking at a house where they were asking $600k. (too rich for my blood but it's in Chicago meaning $$$) I told her I thought it was worth about $ 555K since it had been on the market for awhile, so she started around $525 and got it for $550k.

Just depends on what it is,what the price is and whether or not I really want it. I don't need a whole lot,so if it's just a "want" and the price is reasonable,I just pay what they're asking. If I kind of want it and could get it for my price,I'll offer what I want to pay,if they don't want to take it,I don't press the issue,simple as that.
If it's something I need and the price is what I consider reasonable,I'll pay it. You can find out if the seller will come down by just thanking them for their time and starting to walk away. If they don't stop you and offer it for less,then that's their price. The most important thing to remember is that it's somebody else's stuff not yours,so don't get all cocky and condescending. Show some respect.

Most of the time I ask is that price set in stone or some such thing. If they say yes if it is to much in my mind I walk away. If they tell me no it is not set in stone I make an offer and go form there. That way the person does not get offended

"If you need to sell it and can't, I'll give you this much." Things might be worth twice as much to some people as they are to others. I went to look at an old utility trailer that the guy was asking a $100 for. It had no floor, no sides and basically no lighting, the tires were shot and it was rusted everywhere - I offered him $50 and he said "Sure, my wife'll be glad I got rid of it."

Otherwise, just like the others - sometimes full price, sometimes haggle a bit, other times just walk away.

Phil N

The only place that I haggle is with equipment dealers, as for flee markets and such, I am not a big fan. I usually know in my mind what something is worth, if not I get on line and find out.

At a fleamarket about 30 years ago a guy had a $25 tag on a 5 inch Black/Decker angle grinder. I offered him 20, he said if he wanted 20 he would have written it on the tag. I gave him the 25 and the more I thought about it the more I thought it made perfect sense. I've sold about 7 cars including a Corvette out front by the highway and only let one guy beat me up for a couple hundred dollars and I got 2 grand more for the vette than I gave for it about 12 years prior. And the Black/decker grinder might of been worth a 100 bucks,still going strong and comfortable to hang on to.

I see nothing wrong with making offers. I figure what its worth to me, if I can get it bought for that fine, if not I'll keep looking.

Sometimes I pay what is on the tag, other times I ask if the price is negotiable. It just depends if I agree with the labeled price or not.

Buying is much harder than selling."Making the deal"
as an old now passed friend used to say is an art.
Never insult the seller,run down their item or get them on the defensive if you want to get a really good buy.Let the seller guide the conversation some
people want to do business in 5 minutes some like to talk an hour or so before price is even mentioned.If you read an ad and the price is way more than you want to pay give it a few days before
you call about let other people tell him the price is too high or no one calls they'll get to figuring it out most likely.Takes awhile to work a deal sometimes.You know the whole thing was a success when you get it at your price and the seller feels good about you getting what he had for sale.

I buy and sell a lot of stuff. I usually base my offer on fair market price minus25 to 50 percent. Some people argue "I paid X amount for it, so thats what i have to get". Not my fault if you paid too much, so I politely thank them for their time and walk.

In this area the price of hand tools has more or less settled down. US made sockets $1. US made ratchets $10-15, less if in bad condition. US made wrenches $1-$5, more if large, again depending on condition. Quantity discounts are always available. People that know or think they know tools think Snap On tools are made of gold. Other tool truck tools are not so high.

Someone said the best bargains are to be found where a woman is selling out her ex's stuff. Sad.

KEH

Best deal i ever made.
When i bought my ranch 22 years ago It had been on the market for 13 years and was listed at 675 K(waaaay out of my leaque, i was flat broke to start with, all i owned was 30 cows and some machinery ), i offered $250 K and nearly got shot :shock: .
A year later it still wasn't sold and i tried again,they had dropped the price to 450 and i offered 220, they counter offered for 300 K
Then I offered a final $240 K, take it or leave it,.. they left it.
A month later the real estate phoned if i was still interested they would accept my last bid, i said yes but only if the owner was willing carry a $ 150 K mortgage. He was and the rest is history :lol:

The place is worth 2.5 million today

Local pawn shop had a sheetrock banjo with a $75 tag on it. It was well worn, and a new one was $100 at the time. I picked that thing up every time I was in there, and the price never changed. After a year went by, I asked the manager if I could make an offer without offending him, and he said sure. I offered him $25, and he was GREATLY offended. I really figured he'd counter my offer, but no - he just blew up. I never went back, and the place closed within a month or so.

I always haggle.I even ask for a discount at Lowes,Home Depot and other retailers. If you tell me upfront that the price is firm then I either accept it or walk away. If the word firm or something to that effect is not in your ad ,I will offer less and expect a negotiation.

If the asking price is reasonable, I assume the seller gave himself at least 10% wiggle room.

If the asking price is way out of line I usually move on.

I have been on the other side when some one makes an offer you accept and they say "I will think about it".

If the seller wants to sell his item, he must be willing to at least consider offers. Sometimes the asking prices are ridiculous.
For example, if I were looking at a car, and the seller said that he had just spent a lot of money on repairs. I would NOT make an offer based on what he spent on repair work. Did that in my younger days and found out that it is usually poorly done patching "just to get it good enough to sell."
When I do make an offer, I base it on a few items:
1) What is it worth to me. I try to stay a bit below that price to give ME some wiggle room.
2) What would be the price of a new one, or what did that item likely cost new? Adjust for being used, depreciation, etc.
3) Seller's attitude. Bad attitude, no deal.
4) What is the asking price, and is it reasonable?
I have purchased several items through want ads or flea markets without even negotiating. If the price is right, it will sell quickly. Better to grab up a good deal while it is available.

Just my opinion........for what it is worth.

Selling and buying can be a tricky "art". When I sell something, I always price it at a fair price that I would be willing to pay for it. I usually don't leave any room for negotiation. I feel like if I price it high enough to "wiggle" on the price, that it will scare off many potential buyers.
What really bothers me the most when selling something, and what really turns me into a negative person in a hurry, is when when someone calls me on an item, and right off the bat asks me "what is your bottom dollar/". In my opinion, that's poor negotiating. This seems to happen more and more often, the person hasn't even seen the item in person, or made any offer of their own, they just want me to automatically drop the price!

I usually ask what their best price is, if that's OK then I pay, if not I say "could you take $xx?". If no and I really want it I'll pay their best or the original asking price. No reason to be confrontational or disrespectful, it's just business. We used to be in the antique business and as they say in that, you make your profit when you buy, so we negotiated everything. When the original asking price is outrageous to start with, I just walk on by.

The good sellers that can make a living at it, don't get offended.

They're just THINGS, after all, and getting offended means you have some sort of emotional attachment. Emotions have no monetary value. If you're emotionally attached to it, you have no business trying to sell it.

I enjoy haggling, and I expect it when selling.
(exception is if one of my YT friends finds me a much needed part and gives a fair price....paid)
Like the other poster, even big stores can be haggled.
Hey, everything goes on sale right? why not today?
Yard sales, etc, I don't haggle each thing. just do some quick math and offer a few dollars less than the total for the whole box of whatever.

Tractors? be nice
give a little, take a little
no insulting offers, no tractor insults, etc
The goal of every deal is that both parties think they 'won'

I never burn bridges. Next tractor deal might be with this guys cousin or drinking buddy.

ps buying.....if you haggle...cash right now...means exactly that. works on those oh so close deals

What's the name on the side of these cheap tool trucks you're talking about? Snap On, Mac and Matco is all I've ever seen in 40 years and they're close to the same price.

I dont think there are any rules as there are no two sellers the same.
I went to look at a pick-up for a yard truck once, the guy was asking $500 for it.
I offered him $400 and for the condition of it I thought I was being generous, he turned around without a word, walked into his house and closed the door.
Another time I went to look at a Suburban the seller was asking $3500 for it, mechanically it was great but as I told him the body was tougher than what I was looking for.
He said whats it worth to you.
I said I dont want to insult you.
He said go ahead and try.
I said $1000
He said that better be cash.
Going through the truck once I got it home there were reciepts in the glove box for over 2500 in work done to it in the previous 6 months.

Very simple and works every time. I look it over, ask a few questions then ask if they are open to offers. If yes, I make one, if no I buy at the quoted price if I really want it or I walk away, Very simple and no one is upset.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back