Hi all. Just purchased a Massey Harris 22 and have some questions. I have ordered the manual, but can"t let it sit around while I wait - too impatient. I am used to Ford Ns so need some info on this one if you don"t mind the very basic questions.

Hydraulics - What type of oil? This has to resivoir at the front with a pump mounted by the governor and a cylinder in back. Anything special to do when changing the oil>

Trans - Again, type of fluid to use and quantity. Does the rear end share the same fluid? Is there access to reach in and clean out the sludge like on the Ford Ns? Would like to rinse out with Kerosene and start with fresh fluid.

Engine oil - Type and capacity? Also any idea about cross reference oil filter number?

Again ,thanks in advance for answering such simple questions. It needs alot of work and I want to get it safely running so I can troubleshoot problems. It purred like a kitten loading it on trailer after sitting for a year, but has weter in tran fluid and water where oil should be in air cleaner.
 
Ed,The rear end and trans are seperated, unlike
the larger ones. The trans 2 gal-diff 4 gal. Man.
will say 140/summer 90/winter. Use Gl-5 90 gear
lube year around. Level and fill plugs evident.
Hydraulic, Used to say 10-30 non-detergent,depend
on temperature. So depending on your part of the
country use that descretion. Do not use a detergent oil-it will foam. If you elect to use
a newer universal hyd. that is ok. Engine oil,5
quarts including filter change(4 w/o) Same as hyd,10-30 sae depending on temp. Most now use new
detergent oil. If oil is dirty, change soon if it
is not used to detergent, or you may plug up pump
screen. If you are getting MF man or reprint, it
will serve as a service manual. Chuck
 
Chuck, you're awesome. Thanks for the info. I have been degreasing and tinkering for couple of days now. Was all kinds of excited to drive it around, but won't risk damaging my new toy until I know I have the correct fluids in her.

Thanks again!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top