Massey 431 Help

I recently purchased a 1999 Massey 431 with loader. First off, I am a complete newbie to tractors. I have this one and a MF240 that came with the land I purchased.

When I use the loader on the 431, there is a valve looking thing w/ handle on the right side fender. It has begun to leak fluid. Thinking it may be a O ring or something but I don't know what it's called to order one.

Again, I am very new to this, just want to maintain and fix it so there aren't worse problems later. You guys have tons of knowledge and I appreciate it, figured try here first. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 20240305_122355.jpg
    20240305_122355.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
  • 20240308_121749.jpg
    20240308_121749.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 162
That's an interesting plumbing arrangement. I have to wonder just what function does this valve serve in operation of the loader?

As for the leak, if it's coming from a point where the spool fits through the valve casting, it will do you no harm other than make a mess. It won't adversely affect the operation. If it's coming from the area of the jam nut on the fitting pictured in the port marked BYD, you might try just tightening the nut first. If that doesn't help you can remove the fitting and replace the O ring on it. It's a standard hydraulic fitting and should be readily available anywhere such fittings are sold.
 
That's an interesting plumbing arrangement. I have to wonder just what function does this valve serve in operation of the loader?

As for the leak, if it's coming from a point where the spool fits through the valve casting, it will do you no harm other than make a mess. It won't adversely affect the operation. If it's coming from the area of the jam nut on the fitting pictured in the port marked BYD, you might try just tightening the nut first. If that doesn't help you can remove the fitting and replace the O ring on it. It's a standard hydraulic fitting and should be readily available anywhere such fittings are sold.
Yes sir! The MF240 has on that is similar also but no loader on that tractor. It seems to only leak from that lower left area. I just don't know how to find an O ring online because I'm not 100% what that part is called. Haha I'll learn eventually.
 
Yes sir! The MF240 has on that is similar also but no loader on that tractor. It seems to only leak from that lower left area. I just don't know how to find an O ring online because I'm not 100% what that part is called. Haha I'll learn eventually.
That looks like a generic aftermarket valve. Unless you find the actual valve manufacturer and valve model number on the valve itself, you will likely have to take the fitting out and match the O-ring(s). If you pull it out there may be more inside that are on that fitting. They all need to match ID, OD, and wire size of what is in each position, so you may need to take it to a hydraulic shop or equipment dealer with O-ring assortments for hydraulic fittings, the hardware store kits likely won't have the right ones.

Does this valve control a pair of remote couplers at the rear of the tractor? It looks like those are what shows in your picture.

The port that is leaking appears to have BYD cast in the housing next to it. BYD likely means that is the Power Beyond Port. That likely indicates fluid is passing through this valve to another.
 
That looks like a generic aftermarket valve. Unless you find the actual valve manufacturer and valve model number on the valve itself, you will likely have to take the fitting out and match the O-ring(s). If you pull it out there may be more inside that are on that fitting. They all need to match ID, OD, and wire size of what is in each position, so you may need to take it to a hydraulic shop or equipment dealer with O-ring assortments for hydraulic fittings, the hardware store kits likely won't have the right ones.

Does this valve control a pair of remote couplers at the rear of the tractor? It looks like those are what shows in your picture.

The port that is leaking appears to have BYD cast in the housing next to it. BYD likely means that is the Power Beyond Port. That likely indicates fluid is passing through this valve to another.
The guy I got it from said he bought it new and I have all the manuals and everything so not sure, aftermarket or not. I can't find it in the manual either. I will probably just take the O ring out and go to a Massey dealer. I have one about an hour or so away.

Yes it goes to two couplers in the back.

Thanks for the info, maybe it's something simple like an O ring.
 
The guy I got it from said he bought it new and I have all the manuals and everything so not sure, aftermarket or not. I can't find it in the manual either. I will probably just take the O ring out and go to a Massey dealer. I have one about an hour or so away.

Yes it goes to two couplers in the back.

Thanks for the info, maybe it's something simple like an O ring.
The valve, the mounting location, and plumbing arrangement all look like he added the remote set up as the tractor was not equipped with a remote set up when he purchased it. Thus, it would not be in the tractor manuals. Maybe the dealer did it using components from an accessories or short line catalog, but if sure doesn't look like an OEM installation.
 
The valve, the mounting location, and plumbing arrangement all look like he added the remote set up as the tractor was not equipped with a remote set up when he purchased it. Thus, it would not be in the tractor manuals. Maybe the dealer did it using components from an accessories or short line catalog, but if sure doesn't look like an OEM installation.
Agreed, the valve arrangement shown is not OEM MF equipment for a 431.
 
Agreed, the valve arrangement shown is not OEM MF equipment for a 431.
To be specific, and keying off what Harry and Jim are saying, that fitting where the hose connects into the "BYD" port is probably a "power beyond" adapter sleeve into the valve body. Into that adapter you have what is probably an ORB elbow fitting on the end of the hose, or an ORB (o ring boss) elbow with a JIC end where the hose couples to the elbow. The first thing to try is see how snug both the BYD sleeve (the closest to the valve body) and the next one out (the ORB fitting) are. Both of them seal up using orings, and may only need a slight snugging up to stop the leak. If that doesn't work, the o-rings in both can be replaced, but it will get messy taking that joint apart. Just cycle all your valves a few time with the tractor off, to relieve any residual pressure, and work back from the hose toward the valve to disassemble it. This is what that elbow probably looks like disassembled: The Power Beyond sleeve probably has two orings, one near the outside, and one near the internal end, like Jim said.
 

Attachments

  • elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
To be specific, that fitting where the hose connects into the "BYD" port is probably a "power beyond" adapter into the valve body. Into that adapter you have what is probably an ORB elbow fitting on the end of the hose, or an ORB (o ring boss) elbow with a JIC end where the hose couples to the elbow. The first thing to try is see how snug both the BYD sleeve (the closest to the valve body) and the next one out (the ORB fitting) are. Both of them seal up using orings, and may only need a slight snugging up to stop the leak. If that doesn't work, the o-rings in both can be replaced, but it will get messy taking that joint apart. Just cycle all your valves a few time with the tractor off, to relieve any residual pressure, and work back from the hose toward the valve to disassemble it. steve
As I touched on before, the power beyond sleeve may well have an O-ring and backup washer on the internal end, which should be replaced if it is removed.
 
To be specific, and keying off what Harry and Jim are saying, that fitting where the hose connects into the "BYD" port is probably a "power beyond" adapter sleeve into the valve body. Into that adapter you have what is probably an ORB elbow fitting on the end of the hose, or an ORB (o ring boss) elbow with a JIC end where the hose couples to the elbow. The first thing to try is see how snug both the BYD sleeve (the closest to the valve body) and the next one out (the ORB fitting) are. Both of them seal up using orings, and may only need a slight snugging up to stop the leak. If that doesn't work, the o-rings in both can be replaced, but it will get messy taking that joint apart. Just cycle all your valves a few time with the tractor off, to relieve any residual pressure, and work back from the hose toward the valve to disassemble it. This is what that elbow probably looks like disassembled: The Power Beyond sleeve probably has two orings, one near the outside, and one near the internal end, like Jim said.
You guys are great, I really appreciate the help! I'm sure you will be seeing my name pop up a few times. Thanks again for helping the newbie.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top