Massey Ferguson 175 Identify Year

hotrodsue

New User
We have a Massey Ferguson 175 (likely 1960's) and need to identify year to be sure to order correct parts. Trying to find the serial number.

These numbers are on the engine:
BILOHROME
37112600 x
N265
Perkins Diesel

Under seat mount:
897 592 M1

By gearshift:
881510 M1

Left side by foot rest:
894-682-M1

Back axle right:
899475 M1

Back axle left:
899473 M1

That's every number found. We're in need of radiator hoses, and power steering hoses. Any ideas on how to identify the year of this tractor? Thanks in advance.

You need the serial number to ID it, casting numbers won't do it. the serial number should be on the dash panel.
mvphoto72481.jpg

The plate with serial number is not there, just four rivet holes where it used to be. We bought tractor as is about 25 years ago. It had been in a flood and now wonder if the serial number plate was turned in.

We were hopeful that perhaps the serial number might be in more than one place, so my husband pressure washed and looked for every number possible.

Also, we have pictures that helps you all help us.

Many thanks for all of the replies.

Yes, this 4815773 is stamped into the engine. Where the other identifiers on the engine are raised numbers and letters. So, we think it's possible that is engine serial number, being that it is stamped in.

Also, we wondered if identifying the engine might help us identify the tractor year. Would you know where to begin to look?

Also, I wonder if other numbers on on the tractor itself are part numbers, i.e. numbers near gearshift, axle, etc. Can we determine year of our tractor by looking up what model those part numbers went on. Although, that wouldn't help if those part numbers are on more than one model year.

Many thanks again for all responses,

Sue

(quoted from post at 09:47:00 03/28/21)
Yes, this 4815773 is stamped into the engine. Where the other identifiers on the engine are raised numbers and letters. So, we think it's possible that is engine serial number, being that it is stamped in.

Also, we wondered if identifying the engine might help us identify the tractor year. Would you know where to begin to look?

Also, I wonder if other numbers on on the tractor itself are part numbers, i.e. numbers near gearshift, axle, etc. Can we determine year of our tractor by looking up what model those part numbers went on. Although, that wouldn't help if those part numbers are on more than one model year.

Sue

The website this link should take you to may help identify the year of your engine, if you find all the info they show.

The raised numbers you see, cast as part of a component, ae casting numbers. They identify that casting, they may or may not be part numbers. Some castings are used on multiple models, like some 165s may use some of the same castings as your 175 (just and example, I didn't check any to see if they are used on both). So it is very doubtful the casting numbers will determine the year of your tractor.

Are you aware of the online parts book for your 175? If you are not aware of it, post back for a link. If you use that, you may find the parts you are looking for may be the same on all the 175s, or the differences are visible so you can pick the right ones. Parts books usually use serial number breaks, not years, when they made changes during production. So again year may or not help you in the parts search.

Someone very familiar with the 175 tractors should be able to get real close as to what year it is. Changes though small are made as years went on. Try to locate a local mechanic familiar with them or take lots of pictures.

You would have better luck using the letters/numbers stamped on the trans and diff case tops in the parts list narrowing the year down. The 165/175 models also had two
steering systems too that might help, compare yours with the steering parts list to see if it's early or late, then not the SN break..

(quoted from post at 07:42:28 03/28/21)
(quoted from post at 09:47:00 03/28/21)

Sue

The website this link should take you to may help identify the year of your engine, if you find all the info they show.

The raised numbers you see, cast as part of a component, ae casting numbers. They identify that casting, they may or may not be part numbers. Some castings are used on multiple models, like some 165s may use some of the same castings as your 175 (just and example, I didn't check any to see if they are used on both). So it is very doubtful the casting numbers will determine the year of your tractor.

Are you aware of the online parts book for your 175? If you are not aware of it, post back for a link. If you use that, you may find the parts you are looking for may be the same on all the 175s, or the differences are visible so you can pick the right ones. Parts books usually use serial number breaks, not years, when they made changes during production. So again year may or not help you in the parts search.

No, I am not aware of the online parts book. Please do share the link. It's a 175 Diesel. I appreciate the details to help us piece everything together.

(quoted from post at 08:20:42 03/28/21) Someone very familiar with the 175 tractors should be able to get real close as to what year it is. Changes though small are made as years went on. Try to locate a local mechanic familiar with them or take lots of pictures.

Thanks! We found Massey Ferguson dealer about 45 minutes from here. Plan to take pictures to them tomorrow.

(quoted from post at 10:33:41 03/28/21) You would have better luck using the letters/numbers stamped on the trans and diff case tops in the parts list narrowing the year down. The 165/175 models also had two
steering systems too that might help, compare yours with the steering parts list to see if it's early or late, then not the SN break..

This is a great idea to further help piece things together. Thanks!

Thank you to everyone responding to help us.

Here is a link to click on to reach the online parts books. https://apb.agcocorp.com/

This past week they started showing this first page announcing there are changes coming. For now these instructions should let you find your 175 parts book.

mvphoto72526.jpg

mvphoto72527.jpg

mvphoto72529.jpg

I believe the book you want is #651190, for the North American 175. The 175/178 book is for the Great Britain/European version.

(quoted from post at 11:33:02 03/28/21) Here is a link to click on to reach the online parts books. https://apb.agcocorp.com/

This past week they started showing this first page announcing there are changes coming. For now these instructions should let you find your 175 parts book.

mvphoto72526.jpg

mvphoto72527.jpg

mvphoto72529.jpg

I believe the book you want is #651190, for the North American 175. The 175/178 book is for the Great Britain/European version.

Fantastic, thank you so much for taking time to share link, with directions, and the book number. So happy we found you and have bookmarked Yesterday's Tractors.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back