Massey Ferguson Sickle - MIXING ROCK GUARDS

I hope someone can provide experienced knowledge on this topic.

I purchased a MF 41 Sickle Mower that needs some missing ROCK GUARDS. This particular sickle was fitted with 2-prong MF original guards.

Those 2-prong guards are no longer available anywhere on the internet, unless someone with a similar configuration has some.

I can find 1-prong guards in a number of online stores that are specific to the Model 31 & 41 MF Dyna Balance Sickle mowers.
These 1-prong guards are the MOST COMMON guards found on the majority of MF Dyna Balance Sickle mower configurations.

Here is my question, [b:e1e9534a73][u:e1e9534a73]Can I MIX NEW 1-prong guards with my 2-prong original guards[/u:e1e9534a73]?[/b:e1e9534a73]

I have a NEW 1-prong guard on order that will be coming in next week to check the compatibly fit with my existing guards. If it matches the KNIFE PATH of the 2-prong, I will order the additional 5 guards needed.

I have already purchase 3 different 2-prong guards online that made reference to MF, but not specifically to the Dyna Balance sickle mowers. Did not FIT with the original 2-prongs I have.

I realize I'm restoring a 40 year old mower, but the economics have been extremely reasonable with price and condition of everything else in this restoration. Just need to solve this challenge to "START MOWING".

(quoted from post at 14:00:19 07/22/21) Good time to bite the bullet and
replace them all, just did it on a JD
#5 new bolted sickle too. Cuts like a
dream

At this point I just want to see it mowing. Probably will change all the 2-prong to 1-prong over time.

I can imagine the 1-prong with ledger plates are alot sharper than the 2-prong forged steel without ledger edges.

Look to see if there is a number on the top of the pointed portion of the guard then call Shoup to see if they have a similar guard by number. I have ordered guards and had to compare that number to match them up in the past.

from my experience; do not mix guards they all have different pitches to them and therefore do not cut well , even if new. best to buy one brand in a lot.

I have a MF 41 bought last year and put on all new single rock guards is what there called and new knife bar mows great the actual
bar is thicker steel and can only use massey ferguson rated guards mixing other universal guards will not work had international
pull type model 37 that i put all new guards and knife bar on two years earlier before braking gear box and bought the MF 41 guards
not inter changeable can buy new guards at Buckeye Lawn and Garden Millersburg Ohio 330 674 0456 knife bars for Almish mower shops

I had a MF41 with the 2 prong guards. Also could not buy new guards. My problem was a few broken points. As I recall, I ground off the
stubs that were left, sharpened them as much as I could with a grinder, and kept mowing. I do not have rocks to contend with. The 2 point
guards are on the longer 8ft cutter bar. The shorter bar 6 ft had the single guards. You might change the bar. I sold a parts machine and
a complete new sickle for about $200, 10 years ago. I tried every 2 point guard in the book, but none worked. Have you called Sickle
Service in Nebraska for guards?

(quoted from post at 13:43:24 07/22/21) I hope someone can provide experienced knowledge on this topic.

I purchased a MF 41 Sickle Mower that needs some missing ROCK GUARDS. This particular sickle was fitted with 2-prong MF original guards.

Those 2-prong guards are no longer available anywhere on the internet, unless someone with a similar configuration has some.

I can find 1-prong guards in a number of online stores that are specific to the Model 31 & 41 MF Dyna Balance Sickle mowers.
These 1-prong guards are the MOST COMMON guards found on the majority of MF Dyna Balance Sickle mower configurations.

Here is my question, [b:2b1ed18da3][u:2b1ed18da3]Can I MIX NEW 1-prong guards with my 2-prong original guards[/u:2b1ed18da3]?[/b:2b1ed18da3]

I have a NEW 1-prong guard on order that will be coming in next week to check the compatibly fit with my existing guards. If it matches the KNIFE PATH of the 2-prong, I will order the additional 5 guards needed.

I have already purchase 3 different 2-prong guards online that made reference to MF, but not specifically to the Dyna Balance sickle mowers. Did not FIT with the original 2-prongs I have.

I realize I'm restoring a 40 year old mower, but the economics have been extremely reasonable with price and condition of everything else in this restoration. Just need to solve this challenge to "START MOWING".

Sickle Guard Update:

I have found a (Non MF) 2-prong rock guard that will work with my MF 41 Dyna Balance sickle Mower. The bad news is I have to replace all my rock guards to make them work. Can not mix with the old MF 2-prong guards. The good news is the new rock guards are only $14 each with free shipping. I priced out single prong MF 41 sickle guard replacements and they would over $25 each, and needed twice as many to replace.

where did you source those single guards from? Webb's has the G-900 single guard for Dyna-Balance MF @$6.97 each. I don't know what shipping would be, though.
Are the double prongs you found G-235 guards? I got rid of my 31 mower because it became such a hassle to keep it running but I know somebody who still has a 41.

(quoted from post at 08:59:11 07/27/21) where did you source those single guards from? Webb's has the G-900 single guard for Dyna-Balance MF @$6.97 each. I don't know what shipping would be, though.
Are the double prongs you found G-235 guards? I got rid of my 31 mower because it became such a hassle to keep it running but I know somebody who still has a 41.

The problem I found with single prong MF Dyna Balance Guards is they require a ledger plate for each guard. You can buy single prong that include ledger plates, but with shipping they were between $20 - $25 each.

The double prong guards I found that I replaced the MF obsolete double prong guards with were [b:592ccfd8c6]FQ295 / BU-295 for Ford or Massey Ferguson.[/b:592ccfd8c6] These guard descriptions made no compatible reference to MF Dyna Guard Sickles. They however fit my sickle.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back