showcrop

A mattress is an important tool because it takes a good one in order for you to be rested enough to be effective at work. Ten -twelve years ago we followed the advertising, spent the long dollar, and bought a brand name memory foam mattress. It seemed good for awhile, but then it wasn't, and in the summer it was very hot. We had the "Mattress Marshall", which is a company that the manufacturers get together to fund, come out to check it TWICE and it was pronounced good both times. We finally replaced it with a more conventional much cheaper one recommended by our daughter. Two days ago a lady from church was over to help my wife during her convalescence, and we were putting clean sheets on the bed and got talking about mattresses. She and her husband had had the same experience. Other people have told me that they were unhappy with memory foam as well. This AM one of the big furniture stores in our area had a mattress ad on, and there was no mention of memory foam. It appears that this scam has run its course.

We tried a thick memory foam pad and after one night, I took it off.
Gonna use it for insulation around the sewage pump behind my shop bathroom.
At the price of insulation, it will save me about what I paid for it.
Richard in NW SC

Most conventional mattresses made today still have a small amount of memory foam. In my experience, the stuff takes a long time to warm up, then you're too hot the rest of the night.

Unless a person actually likes them. I do. Mine is 20 years old. I use a mattress cover on it about 3/4 inch thick to stay off of the Threma rest zip on cover. Jim

The best mattresses are the ones that will literally last a lifetime. My parents had one that they helped to fill. No cardboard, no springs - just pure, 100% hand-picked Texas cotton that they helped to pick. It had begun to sag after many years, so they replaced it with a new set. When their old set was hauled away, it was supposed to be disposed of. However, they got a phone call some days later from the store owner asking for a little history on the mattress. They told all they knew. He then asked if they might want their old mattress back? Nope, they didn't want the old sagging mattress anymore.

Some months later, they were talking to someone and had mentioned how their new mattress was already losing its support, and how long their old mattress had lasted. They realized too late that they should have kept up the old mattress, which would mean fluffing it and adding or removing stuffing to suit their needs. But it was so HEAVY!

I've heard of stuffed wool mattresses, but they sell for far more than I'll ever be able to afford. Besides, I probably don't have enough life left in me to utilize such a mattress. Sure would be nice though!

I think most of the new mattresses are made of concrete. We bought a new one that was suppose to be soft but it turned out to be hard as a rock. Then we tried to fix it with a mattress topper and it turned out to be just as hard.

Spring mattress failed on us twice with sagging spring where I sat on the bed. They were not cheap Both were warranty when failed. If it is a scam it is a comfy scam.

Two weeks ago we got an Ashley Hybrid, a few inches of
foam over individually wrapped coil springs and we love
it. No more back pain when I wake up, thats a huge plus
at my age.

I use to stay in a lot of hotels for work. When I found a comfortable mattress, I tore the sheets off to see what it was. Then I bought one. Its been good for 15 years. But unfortunately I am not at home and in a hotel
again and cant remember what brand it is.

We had a Sleep Number for 15 years. I never liked it. It finally started leaking daily. So we
purchased an expensive Temperpedic. It is the most comfortable mattress Ive found. Helps my
bad back minimize pain. When you first get it it seems hard but after a month the top softens up.
Although expensive I highly recommend it.

I have a (relatively) inexpensive, VERY firm mattress with a 3 piece of memory foam on the top. The combination works very well for me.

When we went mattress shopping several (10 or more) years ago, Mawteen spotted one she liked and said We should get this one.

I looked. Just the mattress (no box spring) was $2500. Once I managed to quit laughing I said Uh...yeah...not happening.

The salesman wasn't impressed.

we still have our water bed 39 years and will not give it up wave less type so nice to have a warm bed on cold nights at night we turn house temp. down to 65 at night

TonyinSD, if you would be so kind, when you get back home, could you check on the make and model of the mattress you are talking about, and post it back to this forum? I find myself sleeping on the living room carpet for a couple of hours every night to work out the kinks in my back. I'm ready to try something different. Thank you

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back