Maybe A Rant Of A Different Type

Dick L

1988, 1989, and 1990 I bought new 3 400 ton as well as two 220 Japanese molding machines. They are considered obsolete and parts are not stocked in the US anymore. From fatigue a 1 /14" pipe elbow to ferrell hydraulic pipe with a fine threaded nut. Bought fittings and high pressure pressure hose. Could not thread the 1 inch Japanese pipe as it is larger on the outside. Bought more fittings and threaded thick wall 1 inch pipe to match threads. 1 1/4' pipe fittings screwed in tight with a 4 foot pipe wrench still leak. Find the taper on Japanese threads has more taper and regardless how tight it is only on about three threads. No problem I"ll just re tap the threads with my 1 1/2" pipe tap. I have used my tap to tap out many Allis Chalmers B, C and CA exhaust manifolds. I always put that tap back every time in a tap drawer at home. (RIGHT) After a day of looking I found a new on in Auburn IN. 95 bucks later and another day gone by. Packed the tap with grease and it all is leak free after running the tap in to where it has all new threads on the proper taper. So the message is Japanese pipe fittings are the same thread with a steeper taper. I now again have a set to pipe taps from 1/8" to 2" in the same place. Two 1 1/2" and two 1" in the drawer. I might even find my lost 1 1/4" tap if I live long enough.

The lost tap should show up within the week now that you have a new one.

The tool-die shop I use to work for had a plastics molding division. They only kept two mold makers in the tool room. I got to help maintain a couple molds. Seen a few hours sitting at the bench with a polishing stone. I liked the stamping die work a lot better.

Enjoy your posts!

You haven't played with Caterpillar fittings yet, have you? They have their own pipe sizes so you only get to use their fittings.
Or a saw and a welder. . .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back