McCormick Deering #7 Mower

Shawn in NE

New User
I have a McCormick Deering #7 Mower that i am restoring. I have heard that some are putting a wheel under the tongue to take the tongue weight off of the horses. I was wondering if anyone has seen this and would know how this is done.
 
I'm not a horse guy but I would think with the long tongue used for horse implements and a rider on the mower that there would be very little weight on the horse.
 
Those were called tongue trucks with two cast wheels usually on axle with like a fifth wheel pivot above and other swiveling tongue out front. Parts catalog for the mower should show it ?
 
Thanks dobber, i will see what i can find, i do have the origional book for the mower. What i was really hoping to manufacture is a single wheel directly under the tounge that would pivot and also get out of the way so that the tongue would rest on the ground also. If anyone has any ideas on this let me know please
 
Think I've seen that done too. You might check with any Amish if close and see how they rig some up. There is site for small farms and horse drawn stuff but can't think of the name of it now. The tongue truck or dolly has tongue fastened to it for the horses and the regular tongue in mower will need to be some shorter for the swivel to mount to. Still have to try to keep the correct height on it so mower still adjust and works right. I have pieces of a tounge truck but it's a JD one. Found it poke around or ask here....
Small Farmers Journal
 
Hi shawn,I also have a mower like yours,and was wondering what the correct color is. Some time ago, I heard that red with kind of cream wheels were correct. Any way that is the color that I used and am happy with it. Les Warner Eugene,oregon
 
I have never seen the trucks on a mower. The side draft on a mower would need the long tongue to steer it straight. A mower doesn't have a lot of weight on a long tongue with a rider on the seat....James
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top