Mechanical advantage

Or working both end against the middle.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 298
Around here most folks open the hole up, put the stump back in the hole upside down, cover it over and they are done with it, eliminates having to dispose of the stump.
I flipped over a large stump in 2011. The stump was so large a skid loader couldn't lift.
Now I have to haul in a load of top soil to level out the yard.
The same is true if you have a large stump ground off. You will have to haul in topsoil in about 12 - 15 years if not sooner.
 
And then the need to find enough fill to get the hole back to level. Woof what a job. Jim
Doesn't everyone have a pile of top soil?
In 2019 I built a pole barn. I had to remove a lot of dirt on the north end of the pole barn so rain water wouldn't run towards the barn.
I pushed that dirt on the west side of my property.
If I ever need more dirt, I will remove more of the hill.
I've given away my top soil. My son calls the dirt black gold.
I took my CPA 2 loads for raised strawberry beds.
He mixed in cow poo and he had the best ever strawberries.
My dump trailer is a 10k. It is very handy.
15005.jpg
 
Around here most folks open the hole up, put the stump back in the hole upside down, cover it over and they are done with it, eliminates having to dispose of the stump.
That is done only out in the woods around here. Ten years later you have a big hole to fill.
 
Or working both end against the middle.
Just wanted to chalenge my old backhoe for one thing. After I tipped the stump over in the hole, I dug most of the dirt off of it with the backhoe. I put the stump on top of the brush pile to dry over the summer and will burn it this fall. Will let the dirt settle awhile the maybe put a Yard Art Oliver 60 there. Since that is the corner of the fenced yard.
 
Doesn't everyone have a pile of top soil?
In 2019 I built a pole barn. I had to remove a lot of dirt on the north end of the pole barn so rain water wouldn't run towards the barn.
I pushed that dirt on the west side of my property.
If I ever need more dirt, I will remove more of the hill.
I've given away my top soil. My son calls the dirt black gold.
I took my CPA 2 loads for raised strawberry beds.
He mixed in cow poo and he had the best ever strawberries.
My dump trailer is a 10k. It is very handy. View attachment 7110
And still too heavy to be pulled down hill by a Farmall C. Even unloaded!
 
So you guys are saying where I had a stump ground out in a field I will not be able to keep it leveled up over time by working the field draging dirt around with tillage equipment? IT will still be a hole to fill later.
 
Everyone has their own preferred method about this, I'm sure. What I did when I had a fairly good sized elm die in my yard, about 18" diameter trunk, was I left about 4' of the trunk standing after I had cut and removed the rest of the tree. I should note that the trunk was solid and not hollow or punky. I then took the loader on my 4630 and started working around it, hitting it with the cutting edge of the loader about 6 to 8 inches from the top, and fairly firmly but not crazy hard. The leverage this applied started to loosen the stump and soon I was able to tip it over on its side. I let it set in the sun that way for a few days, then went back with a small spade and a claw hammer and started going after the dirt trapped in the roots. Having set for a few days, the dirt was dry and crumbly and came out pretty easy, easier than I expected as I'm in ancient river/lake bottom soil of the Red River Valley. In about 45 minutes to an hour, I had almost all the dirt removed. By doing it this way, not only did I have about 80% of the hole filled with dirt from the stump, but by walking around on it while doing so, I had compacted it pretty much to normal levels. I then cut most of the remaining 4' of the trunk off for firewood and the remainder was pretty easily carried off to the burn pile because I had gotten rid of most of the weight in dirt. In this way I had to fill in about 4 inches or so of topsoil into the hole, adding another inch or so to allow for settling. Three years later, it is grassed over and level. I'm sure there are variables such as soil type or the kind of tree, but while this took a couple days from start to finish, it wasn't all that much work. Years ago, I had on taken out with a stump grinder and I finally had to dig it out and fill in with top soil because nothing would grow there.
 
So you guys are saying where I had a stump ground out in a field I will not be able to keep it leveled up over time by working the field draging dirt around with tillage equipment? IT will still be a hole to fill later.
The stumps weren't ground in these situations. They were just buried whole, then I assume filled level because when I came a long it had been maybe two years, and the depressions were shallow. After ten years the holes were more than three feet deep.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top