Merc radiator test

rusty6

Got some video recorded of the first start up test on the radiator swap on the 52 Merc. The 53 radiator is in better shape and appears to be free of leaks so that is good news. I did a test drive but it was after dark so no video of that. Just some under the hood stuff. I'm ordering new lower hoses from Rock Auto.
Mercury radiator test

Love the videos. You are a much more hearty soul than me. I think if I lived where you did, either I would have a warm shop to work in, or it would wait till it warms up.

(quoted from post at 01:21:09 12/22/18) Love the videos. You are a much more hearty soul than me. I think if I lived where you did, either I would have a warm shop to work in, or it would wait till it warms up.
The problem is that winter is when I have hours and days of spare time to play with the old cars. If it is seriously frosty I won't be out there. If it is just a bit cool I'll fire up the space heater. Right now the parts Merc is filling up the working space in my semi heated shop. I need to do some re-arranging.

I drove my '50 Ford pickup for the first time today. I had it in the shop at the farm a mile and a half from the house and decided to bring it to the shop here at home so it is more convenient to work on it. The motor has been completely rebuilt. I put in a new radiator, new hoses, new thermostats, new water pumps. I don't have the temp gauge hooked up yet. But it started steaming after going about a mile. I had run it some in the shop but this is the first time I took it out to drive. Pretty disappointed. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do. ADB

(quoted from post at 15:23:46 12/22/18) I drove my '50 Ford pickup for the first time today. Pretty disappointed. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do. ADB
That would be very disappointing. Hope you can track down the problem. Sounds like it should work fine but apparently there is a problem.

(quoted from post at 18:24:49 12/22/18) May be just an optical illusion, but top hose clamp looks very loose to me.
I'll agree the clamp looks a bit loose but they did not leak at the radiator connection. The ones on the head did though. I needed to clean a lot of corrosion off the cast iron and out of the inside of the hose. Still not perfect but I'm going to try re-tightening when it warms up again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back